Sooo..I have reached the limits of my troubleshooting abilities. The following sequence happened to my PC:
1.) A month ago some programs (especially browsers) would go unresponsive (no white-screen or message). It seemed like it was just giving very long delays, but in the end, it stopped completely. If taskmanager was started or the start menu was used, after the first few clicks, these, too would stop to respond, needing a reset. A thing of note is that as soon as the first symtoms appear, the network connection breaks down.
2.) Ghosting the PC did fix the issue for around a month
3.) The issue came back, but now it degenerated quickly into white windows and the application not responding messages.
4.) I bit the bullet and started a completely new install. However after the first boot, with no drivers installed, no programs, nothing, the issues started to appear. I also noticed that the disc access was really slow in the "My computer" window.
Things of note:
- I have switched network access hardware in the time (first onboard LAN, then USB-wifi, now PCI-wifi)
- The issues seem to have nothing to do with CPU pressure or temperature. Actually demanding games run just fine.
- I did disc checks on the SSD the system runs and the other HDD where I have most of the data/programs stored. No issues detected
- I did the common malware searches. No threats detected
- I ran a RAM check, with MemTest86 no issues found
Thanks in advance