Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Application not responding followed by entire OS

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mjkoneig

mjkoneig

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:19 PM

Sooo..I have reached the limits of my troubleshooting abilities. The following sequence happened to my PC:

1.) A month ago some programs (especially browsers) would go unresponsive (no white-screen or message). It seemed like it was just giving very long delays, but in the end, it stopped completely. If taskmanager was started or the start menu was used, after the first few clicks, these, too would stop to respond, needing a reset. A thing of note is that as soon as the first symtoms appear, the network connection breaks down.

2.) Ghosting the PC did fix the issue for around a month

3.) The issue came back, but now it degenerated quickly into white windows and the application not responding messages.

4.) I bit the bullet and started a completely new install. However after the first boot, with no drivers installed, no programs, nothing, the issues started to appear. I also noticed that the disc access was really slow in the "My computer" window.

Things of note:

- I have switched network access hardware in the time (first onboard LAN, then USB-wifi, now PCI-wifi)

- The issues seem to have nothing to do with CPU pressure or temperature. Actually demanding games run just fine.

- I did disc checks on the SSD the system runs and the other HDD where I have most of the data/programs stored. No issues detected

- I did the common malware searches. No threats detected

- I ran  a RAM check, with MemTest86 no issues found

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:10 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, copy it and paste it in your next post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 mjkoneig

mjkoneig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:47 PM

Thank you for your fast reply

Please notice that this is a ghost image I put on after verifying that the issue persists on reinstall

All drivers were updated when the issues started to appear.

Speccy result

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/1WcEM0S738K6gZjiOOaeBdf

Convenient pastebin of MiniToolBox output:

http://pastebin.com/KJTFXuV3

Please notice that prior to going full reinstall, the eventlog was unable to be started, automatically and manually. 

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:55 AM

The first thing I noticed is that you are running Windows Defender and Avast.  You only want to run one antivirus.  Please read the full explanation below, this is important.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Using more than one anti-virus program is not advisable. Why? The primary concern with doing so is due to Windows resource management and significant conflicts that can arise especially when they are running in real-time protection mode simultaneously. Even if one of them is disabled for use as a stand-alone on demand scanner, it can affect the other and cause conflicts. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up regardless of whether real-time protection is enabled or not. Thus, using multiple anti-virus solutions can result in kernel mode conflicts causing system instability, catastrophic crashes, slow performance and waste vital system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, each anti-virus may try to update their definition databases at the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

Credit for this information goes to quietman7.

Please run the MiniToolBox without using the ghost image software.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 mjkoneig

mjkoneig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:51 PM

Hi again,

Reinstalled from scratch. It was a bit harder to reproduce the crash(or anything likely to go into a error log). 

http://pastebin.com/0t7HxTgt

Basic programs like explorer, going into services to verify that the event logger is started, etc had a extreme delay, but did work in the end (until the complete unresponsiveness/crash that is).

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:59 AM

Did the crash happen after the fresh install?

Did you run the MiniToolBox without using the ghost image software?

In the future, just copy and paste the logs in your topic.

#7 mjkoneig

mjkoneig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:05 AM

Did the crash happen after the fresh install?

- Yes, the only things changed were installation of the network card driver and Chrome to start downloading drivers as the system had not crashed in around 1.5-2h of checking HDD's for issues -

Did you run the MiniToolBox without using the ghost image software?

- Exactly, no ghost image (software) was used, just a clean install - 

In the future, just copy and paste the logs in your topic.

- Will do so. I just wanted to keep it easily readable-

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:20 AM

I have an appointment which may take up most of the morning.  I'll check back after I return.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users