Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IDE HDD Enclosure Won't Work - Freezes Multiple Computers

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 blub

blub

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:19 PM

I cannot get my 3.5" HDD USB 2.0 enclosure to work. I don't know if it's a problem with the enclosure itself or with the HDD.

The enclosure is for IDE drives and is compatible with XP and Win7. I connected everything according to the instructions. The HDD is/was the primary HD from my old computer running XP. I turned on the computer one day and received a read disk error and was not able to boot into windows. I have reason to believe some boot files were corrupted (long story), but that the files on the HDD are still there and accessible.

I put the HDD into the enclosure according to the instructions and connected it to a laptop running XP with an old 2.2 GHz celeron processor. The laptop became unbearably sluggish. I had no choice but to turn the laptop off - I think via the on/off button.

I later connected the enclosure to a much more powerful PC running XP with a core duo processor (or something like that). As soon as I connected the enclosure, the computer became very sluggish. I saw the hard drive/enclosure listed under My Computer, but the computer was so sluggish I couldn't access anything. I safely disconnected the enclosure, I think, if the option was available (it was more than a year ago).

I would now like to try to figure out what's going on with this enclosure and HDD so I can get my files off of it (the last files downloaded were not able to be backed up).

The enclosure is an Inland u-Jam, model 8410. http://www.amazon.com/Inland-U-Jam-3-5-Inch-Drive-Enclosure/dp/B001NACBEE

Any ideas on what the problem could be? I don't have another HDD to test in it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:44 PM

"I turned on the computer one day and received a read disk error and was not able to boot into windows:

I would say there is a good chance the drive was failing and that is why the computers slow down when trying to access the drive. I usually recommend Puppy Linux for transfering files. Sometimes linux has a better chance at doing this. But, I would say for this problem to Download the last version of Parted Magic here. Burn the iso with Windows 7 by double clicking the iso or on XP you could use any program that can burn an iso like Imgbun. If installing Imgburn, make sure you are aware of the optional progams it ask you to install and opt out of any you do not want. Note, if you wish the latest version of Parted Magic, it is only a $5 download.

After you burn the iso, boot the CD. Doubleclick on the file manager. When it opens, you will see your internal drive(s) on the left pane. They will be labeled sda1...sda2... etc depending on the number of partitions on the hard drive. Click it once, it will mount and a tab will open showing your files. Attach the USB external drive. An icon will appear labeled sdb1 if there is not more than one hard drive on the computer. Click on the icon once. The drive will try to mount and another tab will open with the file contents. You should be able to copy your files between the USB and the hard drive by selecting files and clicking alternate tabs. Multiple files and folders can be selected by holding the Ctrl key and left clicking. Right click to select copy. Click the internal drive tab, navigate to the folder you wish the files to be copied and right click, Paste.

Here is a guide showing the process and using the mount button to manually mount the drives. After copying the files unmount the USB external.

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 May 2014 - 06:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users