Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Your Active Partition and System Partition are residing in two different hdd !.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 patrocle

patrocle

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:52 AM

Hi,

I was trying to install a software and i got this message from the software:

"Your Active Partition and System Partition are residing in two different hdd !. Please re-install

your Windows to fix the issue , and try our installation program again."

I have Win 7 64bit Ultimate on my C/ Drive and i also have 3 extra internal drives for storage, so  i 

am nt sure what exactly i have to do now to make sure i have only 1 active partition with out 

deleting any of my windows files or...

4hk0l.jpg

eq9o5d.jpg

Thanks for any advice.

Regards.

Edited by patrocle, 19 May 2014 - 11:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:17 PM

FWIW:  The active partition...there can be an active partition on each hard drive and the only reason for making a partition is so that it can be the boot drive or host an operating system.  If you remove the O/S, the partition will continue to be active...to no purpose.  I've seen this on my own dual-boot  systems.  By definition...any multiboot system can reflect multiple drives with an active partition.

But...Win 7 is a little different from XP regarding this designation, I don't recall that XP has/had a tool for making a partition active...actually, I didn't know that Win 7 has such a tool.  Maybe it's done automatically when installing Windows but I don't ever recall using a specific Windows function to make a partition active.

See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mark-partition-active#1TC=windows-7 for MS explanation.

"Don't mark a partition as active if it doesn't contain the loader for an operating system. Doing so will cause your computer to stop working."

Seems to me that your situation stems from the fact that you only have one install of Windows...and you have an active partition on a drive not reflecting the O/S.

Seems that you can easily fix that, using the MS documentation.

Then...retry your install of whatever program.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users