Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Home Premium

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TCal

TCal

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:20 AM

Hi I ran the FSS scanner and it says I'm missing a registry key for my system restore in windows vista home premium 32 bit service pack 2:

System Restore:
============
SDRSVC Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of SDRSVC service is OK.
The ImagePath of SDRSVC service is OK.
The ServiceDll of SDRSVC service is OK.
Checking LEGACY_SDRSVC: ATTENTION!=====> Unable to open LEGACY_SDRSVC\0000 registry key. The key does not exist.
VSS Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of VSS service is OK.
The ImagePath of VSS service is OK.

How do I fix this? Everything else is okay. Also the computer gets bogged down and is slow to respond within an hour or so, and needs to be restarted. It has 2 GB of RAM. I run ccleaner regularly. I ran a program that checked the harddrive and it rated it as excellent. I've defragmented the harddrive. I've scanned the computer with AVG, malwarebytes, eset, hitman pro and adwcleaner and there's no malware. I've run the sfc /scannow program and it says there are corrupt files it couldn't repair, but when I open the sfcdetails.txt there are no corrupt entries listed. Anything you can suggest would be much appreciated.

Edited by TCal, 19 May 2014 - 01:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:20 AM

I doubt the missing registry key matters at all. It says the service isn't running anyway.

How about computer temperatures? Is it simply overheating?

#3 TCal

TCal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:52 AM

No I checked the temperatures. They were fine. I ended up reinstalling vista. Everything is like new now. That was the easiest solution I found.

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:15 PM

Have you run a registry cleaner?  If so, that could be the problem.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:50 AM

Please post the sfc /scannow log.

To find sfc /scannow log, type cmd in the Search box. 

cmd will appear above the search box under Apps., right click on it and choose Run as administrator, this will open the Elevated Command Prompt.  This will look simlare to the image above.

copy and paste the following in the Search programs and files box, then press Enter.  

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Click on this to open the log, copy it and paste it in your topic.

Go to Services and scroll down to Volume Shadow Copy Service and right click on it, then click on Properties.

Under Service status click on Start.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:00 PM

I doubt the missing registry key matters at all. It says the service isn't running anyway.

All of the registry files are important.  If certain files are missing you will not be able to open windows.  Other missing files can and will eventually become problematic.  To suggest that a missing registry file doesn't matter is wrong. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:51 PM

Meh, I've added, edited and completely deleted certain registry entries and windows still worked. The key of course being that they were inconsequential registry entries. I didn't declare that his missing registry entry was definitely not a problem, I just expressed my doubt that it was the problem causing the symptoms he described, especially when you consider the service isn't being used. His computer was slowing down over a period of an hour until it needs to be restarted. I doubt a missing registry key for windows backup service that he isn't even using would cause that. Maybe though, I don't know for sure.

To be clear I'm not saying missing registry files don't matter, just that it's not likely the cause of this particular problem, in my opinion.

Sounds more like a heat issue, memory leak, or the PC just has too much junk software on it bogging it down. Now we know it's not a heat issue, because the OP reinstalled windows and everything is working great now.

TCal, glad to hear you fixed it.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:53 AM

Please run the following scans.

Please run the ESET OnlineScan

• Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu.png icon on your desktop.
  • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.  After clicking on the link the download will start automatically.

1)  Double-click on mbam-setup.exe, then click on Run to install the application, follow the prompts through the installation.

2)  Malwarebytes will automatically open.  If this is the first time you have run this version of Malwarbytes you will see an image like the one below.

mbam1_zps95cc812c.png

Click on Update Now, after Malwarebytes is updated click on Scan.

If this isn't the first time you have run this version, then you will see an image like the one below.  Click on Scan

mbam1_zps98e7fba9.png

You will be prompted to update Malwarebytes, to do so click on Update Now.

mbam2_zps85f38f0c.png

3)  The scan will automatically run now.

mbamreplace_zps3ead4824.png

4)  When the scan is complete the results will be displayed.  Click on Quarantine All, then click on Apply Actions

mbam4_zps23e52ad4.png

5)  To complete any actions taken you will be asked if you want to restart your computer, click on Yes

mbam4_zps490948cc.png

6)  Please post the Malwarebytes log.

To find your Malwarebytes log,download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop.

To open the log double click on mbam-check.exe on your desktop.  When the log opens, scroll down toward the bottom of the log to Quarantined Items.  Copy and paste this in your next post.

#9 TCal

TCal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:15 AM

Where were all you posters back in May when I first posted my question? Nobody responded for weeks. I've already said I reinstalled windows and everything's like new. Btw, I ran eset before my original post and it found nothing. I have Malwarbytes now and it finds nothing. I did a clean reinstall of vista.  I'm not wasting time running unnecessary diagnostics anymore. If there were an option to close my account I would have already done it.

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users