Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

End of Support for Windows XP SP3 is April 8, 2014

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1794 replies to this topic

#1 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

New pinned topic: With XP ending, what are your alternatives?...Should you give Linux Ubuntu a try?

REMINDER: Support for Windows XP ends in...

Can Windows XP still be activated after April 8, 2014?
Windows XP can still be installed and activated after end of support. Computers running Windows XP will still work but they won’t receive any Microsoft Updates or be able to leverage technical support. Activations will still be required for retail installations of Windows XP after this date as well.

Will existing updates still be available via Windows Update after April 8, 2014?
Yes, all existing Windows XP updates and fixes will still be available via Windows Update and WSUS.

Will Microsoft Security Essentials be supported after April 8, 2014?
Microsoft Security Essentials will not be available for download on Windows XP after April 8, 2014. If you already have Microsoft Security Essentials installed, you will continue to receive anti-malware signature updates through July 14, 2015. However, please note that PCs running Windows XP after April 8, 2014 should not be considered protected.

Which machines will receive the Windows XP End of Support notification?
The notification will be sent to users of Windows XP Home and Windows XP Professional who have elected to receive updates via Windows Update. Users in organizations using Windows Server Update Services (WSUS), System Center Configuration Manager, or Windows Intune will not receive the Windows XP end of support notification.

Support for Windows XP is ending on April 8, 2014. If you're running this version after support ends, you won't get security updates for Windows.

Support is ending for Windows XP
Windows XP SP3 and Office 2003 Support Ends April 8, 2014
Microsoft Support Lifecycle for XP
Windows lifecycle fact sheet (all OS)

What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?

An unsupported version of Windows will no longer receive software updates from Windows Update. These include security updates that can help protect your PC from harmful viruses, spyware, and other malicious software, which can steal your personal information...

Also keep in mind that as with previous outdated operating systems, many software programs will eventually become incompatible as vendors continue to update their products to work with newer Windows versions. This includes major anti-virus and security vendors which at some point will stop providing support to older Windows operating systems. Until such time however, anti-virus definition updates will not do much to protect the system if the underlying OS is outdated and vulnerable to exploit.

* Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7
* Windows 7 system requirements
* Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor
* Download Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

More reasons to update: MCyber threats to Windows XP and guidance for Small Businesses and Individual Consumers

Criminal hackers, as you might imagine, can't wait until April 8. That's because most consumers are clueless about the true scope of security risks. And thousands of companies, for economic and operational reasons, appear intent on continuing to use XP machines well after Microsoft officially stops supporting XP...Security experts anticipate that cybercriminals will move to take advantage.

Windows XP users six times more likely to be hacked

What is the risk of continuing to run Windows XP after its end of support date? One risk is that attackers will have the advantage over defenders who choose to run Windows XP because attackers will likely have more information about vulnerabilities in Windows XP than defenders...attackers will attempt to develop exploit code that can take advantage of those vulnerabilities on Windows XP. Since a security update will never become available for Windows XP to address these vulnerabilities, Windows XP will essentially have a “zero day” vulnerability forever.

The Risk of Running Windows XP After Support Ends April 2014

...one key finding to surface from the analysis of platforms by encounter rate and infection rate during the past year, was that computers running Windows XP encountered about as much malware as Windows 7. However, Windows XP computers experienced many more infections than other operating systems....

New Security Intelligence Report, new data, new perspectives

While Windows XP SP3 computers encountered almost as much malware as other platforms, computers running Windows XP as a whole experienced a much higher infection rate. For example, although Windows 8 computers may encounter a similar amount of malware as Windows XP, people who use Windows XP are six times more likely get infected.

Infection rates and end of support for Windows XP
ISC Diary: Five good reasons to leave Windows XP behind

Note: For those who have Windows XP and cannot afford a totally new machine: Windows XP - The Elephant In The Room by askey127

Updated information:

MPC Threat Research & Response Blog: Microsoft Extends Antimalware Support for Windows XP

Microsoft has announced the Windows XP end of support date of April 8, 2014. After this date, Windows XP will no longer be a supported operating system. To help organizations complete their migrations, Microsoft will continue to provide updates to our antimalware signatures and engine for Windows XP users through July 14, 2015. This does not affect the end-of-support date of Windows XP, or the supportability of Windows XP for other Microsoft products, which deliver and apply those signatures.

Microsoft retains weapon to silently scrub XP

Microsoft will be able to silently reach into Windows XP PCs for more than a year after it stops patching the aged OS to clean malware-infected machines, sources close to the company confirmed Friday.

The Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT) will continue to be updated and deployed via Windows Update through July 14, 2015, 15 months after the Redmond, Wash. company serves its final public security patches for XP on April 8 of this year.

By extending the life of the MSRT -- and more importantly, automatically running it each month -- Microsoft will be able to clean some PCs if massive malware outbreaks hit Windows XP after it's retired from support....With MSRT, Microsoft will have a weapon at the ready in case widespread malware infections strike XP machines after April 8, something the company has said is likely.

Windows XP end of support in April: Three more questions answered

Q: Will Microsoft cease requiring XP users to activate Windows XP as of April 8, 2014, since support for the product is ending?

A: No. A spokesperson confirmed that activations will still be required for retail installations of Windows XP post April 8. "Windows XP can still be installed and activated after end of support on April 8," the spokesperson noted.

Another update (January 15): For those asking in comments below, Microsoft will continue to make all patches and fixes made to Windows XP up until April 8, 2014, available to users via Windows Update. "There are no current plans to remove existing Windows XP security updates from Windows Update after end of support on April 8, 2014," a spokesperson confirmed.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:02 AM

Excellent reminder. I have too many friends who don't want to hear it, after all OS's are supposed to last forever. I believe this reminder will help members be ready on dealing with this reality. Actually from what I recall support for XP was extended so anyone who has had XP since it came out (I forgot the year but I think it was 2001) will have 13 years out of it. I suspect about $800.00 for the average consumer can be considered a typical price for a computer with proper specs is a good number to determine an ROI of about $62.00 year. Even for heavier duty systems, the ROI still sounds good.

--- Myself I have a Dell Dimension 3000 desktop with XP Pro SP3 and it still runs as good as new

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 51,746 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:09 AM

cmptrgy, 04/08/2014 was the extended support date but I do not specifically recall the date it was first announced. The Microsoft Product Lifecycle link has all the dates as listed now.

does it mean that Microsoft is planning to end up with Win XP as when there are no further updates are going to available for its safe and smooth run then what will be its use ... is it sense..

What? What does end of support mean to customers?
It means you should take action. After April 8, 2014, there will be no new security updates, non-security hotfixes, free or paid assisted support options or online technical content updates.

Windows XP SP3 and Office 2003 Support Ends April 8, 2014

According to NetMarketShare, nearly 40 percent of all desktop computers are running Windows XP an operating system that was first released 12 years ago. Thats despite the fact that Microsoft has released three major OS updates since then, and despite the fact that Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows XP in 2009. Now the clock is ticking on another deadline: In April, 2014 Microsoft will end extended support for Windows XP.

That means the company wont offer a single security fix or performance update after that date, whether youre a casual user or a company thats paying a premium for extended support.

Its hardly surprising that Microsoft plans to end support for an operating system released over a decade ago the company typically offers 5 years of mainstream support and 5 more of extended support...Anyway, if you care about protecting your PC from vulnerabilities, youve probably got about a year to find an alternative to Windows XP...

Windows XP extended support ends next year, Microsoft really wants you to upgrade.

#4 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 209 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:43 PM

So this pretty much means for me that I have to upgrade to Winmdows Yuck ? {Win8} Or can I still get Windows 7 ? I am still using Windows Xp Professional on my laptop, it works perfectly for me for what I need it to do. I honestly hate Windows Eight and refuse flat out to get it on a laptop or even a desktop.

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 51,746 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:55 PM

You can still purchase Windows 7 computers at various online sites like TigerDirect, Newegg, Amazon.com, ebay, etc. Just do a Google search.

#6 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:59 PM

Never seen Windopes 8, but I have seen 7, - and I don't like it at all !! --- I'll stick with XP thanks.

#7 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 209 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:41 AM

Never seen Windopes 8, but I have seen 7, - and I don't like it at all !! --- I'll stick with XP thanks.

Windopes 8 ? I like the reading of that, I too use XP, but sadly as they now say, we can't keep it for that long and hope it stays properly secured and updated! :(

You can still purchase Windows 7 computers at various online sites like TigerDirect, Newegg, Amazon.com, ebay, etc. Just do a Google search.

Ah yes, thank you. I know that CyberPowerPC also still sells windows seven on their machines. though most all other stores and sites recommend Windows 8, which personally is not for desktops or laptops at all, touchscreens and all in ones I can understand, but not laptops and desktops.

Thanks again

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:27 AM

There's always a learning and adjustment curve when "graduating" from one OS to the next one.

--- I started learning computers at work when MS-DOS was in play without any basic training

--- Then I remember Windows 3.1 and that was fun because I was always getting yelled at because I just didn't understand what was going on but to my credit most of the yellers didn't either. They knew how to do some kind of a tweak but that's all it amounted to: tweaking

--- Then I bought a Windows 95 computer that was supposed to accomodate future computer capabilities. If I recall correctly, a computer of the future was short lived

--- Then I got a Windows 98 SE computer and I made that one last "forever" before moving on to XP

------ By forever, I mean that I ran it a couple of years beyond it's "expiration date" because by this time I was getting pretty good at keeping the computer safe & secure but security programs were dissing protection unless you had this version, that version or whatever

--- Any way when I got my XP computer, like everyone else I had to learn it but like a lot of other folks, I love it but it's going to be time to move on again

--- For those of you who like to keep your XP's as long as you can, just make sure all updates & maintenance items are in order before XP's "expiration date" gets here and then back up your entire system (image or clone) so if something happens you can recover your computer

However, although I'll be keeping my XP for a few more years just because I'll be graduating to Win 8 as my primary computer by April 2014

--- I've seen so many changes over the years that to me "change" is the name of the game when it comes to computers not withstanding all other "changes - office programs etc" as part of the picture:

Finally, even though I never got professional computer training, I'm proud of the fact that I am able to keep my computer safe, clean and up to date and I'm glad I became a member of Bleeping Computer.

#9 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:25 PM

Yeah, but there are also ways to keep running older OSs that MS no longer supports. I have a Win98-SE machine that I can still use.

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:49 AM

No updates? So what? I have run XP SP1 for years, my wife still runs it with no problems, no viruses, etc. And yes, we both actively surf the internet. If a normal user takes reasonable precautions there are years of useful life left in XP whether M/Soft supports it or not. I have a Windows 98 machine that still spins like a top, use it mostly for older DOS games that won't run on new machines.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#11 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 209 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

Then I have nothing to worry about! Though new games that come out wont work on my older machnie, I might get a new machine with 7, but right now I am content with XP Pro with SP3

#12 bowlernick

bowlernick

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:43 PM

Why hate Win 7? It's still Windows, it has a start button and it operates like Windows.  Yes, some things were moved around....engineers love to change things.  The same thing happened when we went from 98 to XP.  The world continued to turn.  The world will continue to turn when we play taps for XP.  

For those that brag about using 98.... congratulations... but what hacker is going to waste their time hacking into a 98 system?  They know that the world is ignorant enough with XP.  They are after YOU.  If you're a business - especially in the medical field... it's not a matter of IF you are going to get hacked... it's a matter of WHEN.  Antivirus software will NOT prevent a hack.  The world has been warned.  Don't come crying to us IT people when your system has been hacked.  Be prepared to be very irritated at yourself because you didn't heed any warning put out there.

#13 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

Bowlernick, calm down!  We are not talking about commercial network or enterprise here, just single, Joe Average computer users, and nobody said they hated Windows 7.  And...hacking has nothing to do with antivirus programs in the first place, you must know that if you are a systems engineer.  It has to do largely with securing your ports and that is what a firewall is for. M/Soft worships at the altar of Internet Explorer, one of the most hack-prone programs ever written and that still includes Windows 7 and will include WIndows 8, trust me. I can't begin to count how many Active X/Java based exploits I removed off my companies system. That's why it's good to use Firefox, and enable Noscript to protect against Microsoft's Active X virus intrusions which are probably the most common infection today.  You will please note that I said that my Windows 98 machine is used only for DOS based games that will no longer run on NTFS systems, even in Win95/98 mode. And by the way..we didn't go from Win98 to XP, we went from Win98/DOS based file system to Windows 2000/NTFS  and then to XP/NTFS based file system. That was one of the major platform improvements and (I do agree with you) was long needed and overdue. NT Server4 was NTFS based and far more stable than Windows95/98 so we were all waiting and moaning for that improvement for a long time before M/Soft got around to it.  I imagine nowadays that there are a lot of script kiddies out there that don't even know what DOS is much less hack it.

Edited by ranchhand_, 19 June 2013 - 05:59 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#14 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:40 PM

I HATE Windoze (Windopes) 7. They have hidden all the sensible ways to do anything.

#15 Korin

Korin

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:37 AM

downgrade support will be there until end of Windows 7 lifecycle, what does this mean ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users