Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

5.1 Sound Problems - No Bass

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kitty_Lover

Kitty_Lover

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:05 AM

The issue I have is really annoying and confusing me.

I have some 5.1 Speakers (5 Speakers - 1 Subwoofer).
They're quite old now (10+ years), but work perfectly fine.

For quite some time (I think since I actually got the new mainboard) the subwoofer is not working.
Not working is a bit vague and not interly correct, so let me elaborate.

They're all plugged in correctly, driver installed and working.
Testing the speakers on by one (eitherway by the Realtek Audio-Manager or from Windows) they work - even the subwoofer.
But when I try to play audiofiles with a program(winamp, windows media player, etc) there is no bass and the subwoofer is not working.
I tried to fiddle with the options there and the equalizer. No dice.
The same is with any games. Not working.

But now comes the weird part.
I use Mozilla Firefox as browser and if I try to play music on youtube the bass works(!).
Perfectly fine.

I tried to look into windows settings, audio-settings from realtek, everything I can think off.
Can't figure it out at all.

But how come the subwoofer works perfectly fine on Firefox and YouTube but not with anything else I try to use it with?
It's really confusing and annoying for me and if anyone has any advice, it would be really appriciated.

Information I should add:
I use Win7-64 bit as OS
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3-B3

I use the onboard soundcard
All drivers are updated

(re-installed them too)

Edited by Kitty_Lover, 19 May 2014 - 04:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:41 AM

Going to have you try the normal options. Right click on the speaker icon on your taskbar, click on mixer and make sure all the applications (mainly windows sounds) are on full volume and not muted.

Try booting in safe mode with networking and try replicating the issue.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-computer-safe-mode#start-computer-safe-mode=windows-7

Let me know how it goes.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Kitty_Lover

Kitty_Lover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:17 AM

Not sure what I should do in safe mode :S

Since the audio-driver doesn't load there and therefor I have no sound at all in safe mode.

For the mixer: All the stabilisers are up - nothing muted.

I can not see all speakers there, but if go in the config to Sound>Level I can see all the stabilisers and they're all up (all slots, including subwoofer).

And again, it does work, with Firefox on YouTube.

Just not with any other program or game.

So at the moment I'm always listening to music on YouTube, which is rather frustrating.

EDIT:

Added a picture about the stabilisers.

Sorry about the german, since last format I could not be bothered to change the registry to set the OS to english again :P

57735,soundLB1S5.png

PS: I know the stabiliser are not at 100, they are set to 18. Instead my speakers are at 50 volume.

Makes it easier for me to change the sound level by tuning the 18 eitherway up or down instead of always stretching my arm out to change the volume of my speakers - lazy me :P

That's not what causeing the issue anyways.

Edited by Kitty_Lover, 19 May 2014 - 05:32 AM.

#4 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:50 AM

Unfortunately this is a known issue with 5.1 speakers and Windows 7, so we will just have to keep trying different workarounds until we get your subwoofer to work. What is the brand of speakers you have? I know they are old but yet. Creative and Logitech have issued software that fix this issue.

1) Did you try updating your soundcard drivers?

2) Right click speaker icon on taskbar -> right click speakers -> Third tab enhancements -> Check 'speaker fill' and/or 'BassBack EXP. If this doesnt work try each of the enhancement individually or together.

3) Try different media players to play your music in Windows. VLC, Windows media player, real player, icloud etc. Check if the channels switch. Try a different browser for playing Youtube, does the subwoofer stop working? Do the speaker work the same way?

4) Check that your settings are set to 5.1 in windows audio device manager and realtek audio manager.

Since you have a 5.1 speaker system you must be using a RCA to 3.5 mm converter or something similar to connect to your computer. Try switching the cables (red and white)

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 Kitty_Lover

Kitty_Lover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:47 AM

Fujitsu Computers/Siemens (printed on them)

They're like 10+ years old now.

I actually found a picture from them after goggle'ing :P

$_20.JPG

1) Yes, drivers are up to date

2) I don't have that option at all, third tab only has "Deactive all soundeffects" for me

3) Yes, I tried other players before - same issue. I tested it with several different programs (it's games too by the way) and also the standart IE. Works on YouTube via IE too.

4) Yes, they are (in both)

I wasn't sure what you meant with the last point. Wanted me to change sockets so to have subwoofer for side-speakers and try if it plays then (for example)?

It actually has 3 cables (blue, green and yellow - blue for rear, yellow for subwoofer/center and green for front).

Well, something quite interesting happened though. Confused by the last bit you said I tried to change the cables on the regular box from the speakers.

While I kept music running for testing.

And when I pulled out the subwoofer/center one a bit I actually got bass :o

So now winamp has bass too.

No changes on YouTube, still working even if that cable is not fully plugged in.

But that still doesn't make sense.

How come it works on YouTube (fully plugged in or not) but only work with other programs when it's pulled out a bit?

EDIT: Well, now that it's not fully plugged in the regulator it works.

Still a bit difference regarding quality.

Guess this is a sign I should finally get new speakers *sigh*

Oh well, I had my eyes on the 5.1 from LG for a while anyways :P

I still don't get why it works on YouTube no matter what but on anything else just like this - still doesn't make sense.

Edited by Kitty_Lover, 19 May 2014 - 07:04 AM.

#6 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:13 AM

Wow that is a super weird problem. Yes thats what I meant, try switching the converters/sockets/cables. Now is it only youtube? try playing audio from other websites such as vimeo (video) , soundcloud (only audio) or similar. See what happens.

Btw, do you have a laptop computer or desktop? I'm curious to know what type of connection you are using. Are you connecting the three colored cables into one 3.5 mm jack on your laptop computer?

Look at this post, might help you a bit

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/printpage/How-to-Connect-51-Speakers-to-Your-PC/268

#7 Kitty_Lover

Kitty_Lover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:24 AM

Okay, YouTube works (plugged in or not). Soundcloud too.

Vimeo it has to be pulled out a bit too :S Fully plugged in = no bass.

I have a desktop PC.

Regarding the link you gave me, my sockets look like "Figure 9"

Bit different, but almost the same.

Same goes for "Figure 7", almost the same - cables are like "Figure 5"

(tried to get the link and post it here, but then it says "picture was stolen" - haha xD So silly, it's just a picture of some hardware)

Edited by Kitty_Lover, 19 May 2014 - 07:26 AM.

#8 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:33 AM

If you say that your CPU sockets look like the one in Figure 9, then you might be using a 7.1 layout for a 5.1 speaker system and that could explain the bass subwoofer working when the cable is pulled out a bit. Can you confirm which layout you have?

As for figure 7, just make sure you have plugged in the cables in the correct sockets.

Also, I really recommend upgrading to a dedicated sound card considering you have a 5.1 channel speaker system. Onboard is outdated!

#9 Kitty_Lover

Kitty_Lover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:44 AM

I don't know about that.

I checked them (thank you for making me crawl on the ground :P)

They are labeled nicely: grey=sides, black=rear, yellow=c/sub, pink=mic, green=front, blue=line in

I have my cables (blue, green and yellow) matched with the colors.

I just tried to switch the yellow one to mic like in the post you linked.

I get a pop-up from the audio-manager. If I select microphone it "recognizes" it as a mic and no sound. If I select center/subwoofer it works, but same issue as before: only if not fully plugged in.

Maybe it's the speakers, maybe they're too old.

Still doesn't make sense why it works fully plugged in with YouTube though.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, before I buy a soundcard I'd buy a new neat soundsystem instead :P

Matching the color of the rest of the PC (Black/Blue) instead the silly grey - yuck.

EDIT_2: Here's a picture of the mainboard and the sockets

ilan_1081_3.jpg

Edited by Kitty_Lover, 19 May 2014 - 07:50 AM.

#10 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:06 AM

Ok looks like you have the cables plugged in correctly, yes you just need to upgrade your speakers and soundcard!

The reason why the bass works in Youtube is that the audio in youtube is directly recorded in stereo. Depending on the speaker set the subwoofer may only work in programs (games, windows etc) configured for 5.1, changing to stereo or forcing the stereo option via the speakers itself allows it to work with sites like youtube. Also sometimes programs or games need plugins to convert a 2 ch source into 5.1

Lets try some few more workarounds, if these dont work just upgrade :)

1) Configure your sound settings under control panel, click on the sub or on the speakers and see if the sub makes any sound (a loud boom usually)

2) Sometimes the computer automatically redirects bass to the main speakers instead of the sub. You need to go to the settings and enable bass redirection. also, you may want to set a crossover frequency /my fav setting is around 100-120Hz/. DO NOT mess with this a lot since it will cause a hole in the sub if you go above certain limits.

3) Try selecting 7.1 instead of 5.1

Audio file to test speakers: http://www.mediafire.com/download/84qnp3q159zv20c/5.1_Surround_Test.ac3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users