Jump to content


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.


Bee Coupons browser add-on removal - my experience

  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bigslick


  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:20 AM

Hi everyone, I'm new here, but I wanted to share this.  


I have had this Bee Coupons extension in my Chrome browser for, oh, I dunno, EVER...and I have tried every single trick in the book to get rid of it, including many of the tools suggested here (rkill, combofix, malwarebytes, roguekiller, adwcleaner...you name it).  I have tried manually removing the randomly generated registry entries that it creates, manually deleting the extension folders...and I'm no slouch when it comes to eradicating PC bugs.


It might go away for a moment, but after browsing for a bit, or rebooting, or some event that I can't pinpoint, it comes back.


So, here's what I finally did, and it worked...it's not elegant, but at least I don't have any symptoms of the bug anymore:


Deciding that I can't get the thing to go away for good, and that it keeps re-installing itself, I figured, well, maybe I can just break it.


So, I found the extension folders in the Chrome directory, opened all of the scripts in those folders with notepad (WARNING - if you don't know how to do this, reply to this thread and I'll help, don't try it unless you know how!), deleted the scripts, and re-saved them.  And for the first time in a LOOOOONG, time, my browser is acting normally - no hyperlinked text in my web pages, no popups, no redirects...complete normal browser functioning.


I hate that it's still there, really more on principal than anything, so if someone has a *simple* solution for getting rid of it (meaning, in less than ten reboots, lol), please share - otherwise, I can live with it being disabled and ever-present.  


Maybe this will be helpful for others who are struggling with this nasty, annoying little bug ;)



Edited by bigslick, 19 May 2014 - 02:31 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)


#2 buddy215


  • Moderator
  • 13,496 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:West Tennessee
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:11 AM

Google Chrome gives you the option to reset your browser settings in one easy click. In some cases, programs that you install can change your Chrome settings without your knowledge. You may see additional extensions and toolbars or a different search engine. Resetting your browser settings will reset the unwanted changes caused by installing other programs. However, your saved bookmarks and passwords will not be cleared or changed.

Reset browser settings - Chrome Help


You can also choose to do a complete uninstall of Chrome. That means when uninstalling from Windows also put a check in "Also delete your browsing data."

I suggest you save your book marks before deleting your profile data/ browsing data.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users