Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot boot from a cd on Acer Aspire

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kcguru

kcguru

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:34 PM

My office just bought an Acer Aspire 603G running Windows 8.1. Found out the software we need to run isn't compatible with 8.1 yet. They advised me to install a dual operating system, either XP or 7 Pro and go from there. Sounds good in theory. Problem is, when I try to boot from a Windows XP cd, or any cd for that matter, it won't boot. It just bypasses and goes straight to the regular operating system of 8.1. I have gone into the bios, disabled secure boot, enabled the boot menu, and changed the boot options to go to the cd first and still nothing. When I restart, I can hit a key to bring up the boot menu but the only option is Windows Boot Manager. I contacted Acer, who kept telling me to enable/disable CSM Launch and I kept telling them that I don't even have that anywhere on my boot options! When I go into the boot tab, all I can do is change the boot order and view the priorities, that's all. No CSM. They had me update the BIOS, still nothing. Then they said they would have to bump me up to a level 2 tech which isn't available until sometime tomorrow. Anyone here have any suggestions or should I just throw it out the window?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:27 AM

Is there any option in bios to enable legacy boot? If so enable that and try again.

Edited by zingo156, 19 May 2014 - 07:27 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:07 AM

Here is some info... http://www.pagestart.com/win8dbwin701181301.html .

#4 kcguru

kcguru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:25 PM

Is there any option in bios to enable legacy boot? If so enable that and try again.

I do not have that option anywhere.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:48 PM

I did a bit of research on this computer. As you mention it does not support legacy bios mode. Also people seem to have had trouble getting drivers for this machine for windows 7.

You can read this thread: http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/41741-downgrade-8-7-acer-aspire-axc-603g-uw31-i-need-help-3.html

If the start menu is the main reason for wanting windows 7, I would recommend installing classic start or classic shell. This will give you back the start menu.

Edited by zingo156, 20 May 2014 - 08:17 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 Neil52

Neil52

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:20 AM

Try downloading another CD/DVD player and see if that works. I have an idea tat i read somewhere that Windows 8.1 does not support  windows dvd players. I could be wrong but it is worth a try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users