Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Apps deleted after restore of system

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ww2me

ww2me

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:00 PM

Hi,

I did a system restore because my mouse would freeze and my volume control button would not work. I have had multiple problems with this since upgrading to Windows 8; I have a Toshiba Satellite. Most of the apps that came with the laptop have now been deleted and I cannot re-install them. Can someone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:43 PM

Hi,

What was the operating system on the laptop when you purchased it? How did you do the upgrade to windows 8 and / or 8.1? What installation disks do you have?

Sorry I don't have answers yet but I'm trying to understand what you have and how to solve the problem

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 ww2me

ww2me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:16 AM

Hi,

The operating system when I bought the computer was Windows 7. I did the upgrade through the Windows site to 8. I don't have and didn't use any installation disks. My computer now does not give me the ability to logon to anything, but the desktop; not an apps that came installed on the computer when I bought it new. Thank you for your time and response.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:03 AM

Hi,

When you purchased the computer you should have received a set of installation/recovery disks with the operating system [W7] and the installed drivers and apps. You should also have the software activation key in the documentation or on a sticker glued to the computer

To do the upgrade from w7 to w8 via the online method you should have downloaded an .ISO file onto a CD/DVD and used that to boot and upgrade your w7 to w8. You should have received an email from Microsoft with the activation key when you purchased / downloaded the upgrade

The download to upgrade from w8 to w8.1 was all online but also had an .ISO file that could have been burnt to a CD/DVD and run for that upgrade.

Without any of those disks it may be necessary to buy a new copy of windows 8.1 from a reliable vendor and start fresh. The drivers for laptop should be on the manufacturer's site. I don't remember needing a new key for that upgrade.

Keep us posted

Dick E

#5 ww2me

ww2me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:32 AM

No, there was no .ISO file and no, I did not receive an email notification form Microsoft. I am only interested in finding a way to get some of my apps back, not buying a new copy of an operating system that has caused nothing but problems anyway. Thank you for your input.  

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:00 AM

Hi,

Without a means of restoring the operating system it may be impossible for you to restore / recover anything.

That would leave the expen$ive possibility of a recovery service

Good luck

Dick E

#7 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:38 AM

Hello! If your recovery partition is still available, you could give this a try.

https://support.toshiba.com/support/viewContentDetail?contentId=2737864

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:55 AM

When you upgraded the apps were wiped out by Windows 8 if you used the clean install method. There is an option to upgrade and keep your personal files and settings. Which one did you use? I don't know if using the keep option would have kept the apps.

What apps do you want back?

What is the model number of your Toshiba?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:14 PM

Have you tried to undo the System Restore?

You will find instructions for this at Windows Eight Forums.

Scroll down to Option Two and follow the instructions.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:44 PM

Hi,
When you purchased the computer you should have received a set of installation/recovery disks with the operating system [W7] and the installed drivers and apps.

Not necessarily the case. For a number of years off-the-shelf systems have had a recovery partition which takes the place of the disks. Toshiba is one of the companies that does not provide disks.

A set of recovery disks can be made by the consumer. One would have to review the help files-which can be found online- for his/her computer for instructions on how to do so.

#11 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:38 PM

Hello! To recover back to factory on my Toshiba.

To recover the original factory image using the utilities on your

computer’s internal storage drive:

1 Make sure the computer is turned off.

2 While powering on your computer, press the F12 key when the

initial TOSHIBA screen displays.

The boot menu appears.

3 Using the arrow keys to scroll down, select the HDD Recovery

option, and then press the ENTER key.

4 If your system offers a choice of Windows® 7 32-bit or 64-bit

operating system, select one at this time. If not, skip to step 5.

Some models are different. If you post your make and model number I can confirm how to restore to factory if the recovery partition has not been deleted or corrupted. My model number is L775D-s7222. Can be found on the bottom of your laptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users