Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bugcheck code: 0x9F + 100% disk activity

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 marciamelo

marciamelo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:55 PM

Hello,

My Toshiba laptop with 8.1 has been having a number of problems.  The most noticeable on a regular basis that the computer will 'freeze' for 3-10 minutes.  If I can get in to the task manager I can see that the DISK Active time will be at 100% the entire time when the computer is exhibiting this 'freeze' behavior.  The mouse moves during this time and the computer does respond occasionally, but for all intents and purposes the computer is not usable during this time.  There is no relation I can see to what task I'm doing when this 'freeze' happens.  No task shows being at more than 1-3%.  So I can't tell what process or service that might be incurring this problem.

It may or may not be related, but the computer is crashing occasionally.  It seems like this happens when the computer is idling or possibly sleeping.  

Here are the last 10 crash dumps:

On Sun 5/18/2014 4:35:36 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\051814-29296-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x5A440)
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFA80043027F0, 0xFFFFF800F4A48770, 0xFFFFFA800B1B3A20)
Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
file path: C:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 5/18/2014 4:35:36 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFA80043027F0, 0xFFFFF800F4A48770, 0xFFFFFA800B1B3A20)
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 5/9/2014 2:57:10 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\050814-28126-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x12B80)
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFA80043037F0, 0xFFFFF8025B9C8770, 0xFFFFFA8009F8EBD0)
file path: C:\windows\system32\hal.dll
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 5/4/2014 9:22:40 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\050414-72431-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFA80043BF430, 0xFFFFF801DE168770, 0xFFFFFA800404A9F0)
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 4/30/2014 10:03:41 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\043014-26894-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFA80043BF720, 0xFFFFF802087C8770, 0xFFFFFA80073EC3C0)

On Tue 4/29/2014 5:53:15 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\042914-26005-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFA800441F060, 0xFFFFF80017EA8770, 0xFFFFFA8006C74470)

On Mon 4/28/2014 6:38:06 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\042814-33945-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFA80043B57F0, 0xFFFFF8002470B770, 0xFFFFFA8003E5E010)

On Sat 4/19/2014 6:27:07 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\041914-17940-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFA80043B4060, 0xFFFFF801AAD0B770, 0xFFFFFA8003D62010)

On Sat 4/19/2014 4:25:54 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\041814-18766-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFA80043B5060, 0xFFFFF8031D528770, 0xFFFFFA800718FA20)

On Thu 4/17/2014 8:24:34 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\041714-21294-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFA80043AE060, 0xFFFFF801E5568770, 0xFFFFFA8004503010)

And yes these issues have been ongoing for about 2 months.  I keep thinking I've fixed it by removing things (i.e. AVG) or taking other actions.  But it keeps on.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:14 PM

Hi, your issue is similar to another users that I am currently helping :http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/532429/ntkmlpaexekidispatchinterrupt0x5a4-is-using-too-much-cpu/#entry3372944

Note the similarity in the active processes: ntkrnlmp.exe/ ntoskrnl.exe

I strongly suggest you take a backup of all your data before proceeding with any of the following steps:

Most likely the above error is caused by outdated drives, try updating your drivers especially the Realtek drivers.

Also, make sure your BIOS is updated (ensure you do this step by step as per instructions from the manufacturers website)

Let me know if you need detailed instructions on any of the above. Let me know how it goes.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 nolacs22

nolacs22

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:05 PM

Hi, i would like to know if you are using windows to access these dumps or a different software, this is readable. :lmao:

#4 marciamelo

marciamelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:51 PM

Thanks for the response.  I am working to get everything backed up right now.  I did check to make sure all drivers were up to date.  They are.  Not sure about the BIOS.  I will have to look into that after the back up is done.

I used WhoCrashed to generate the report from the dumps.

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:59 PM

Hi

SMART data collected by "Speccy" indicates that your hard drive is failing. I would recommend testing your hard drive using "Seagate Seatool".

http://www.seagate.com/in/en/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

Run the software and select your HDD for testing. Then choose "Basic Tests --> Long Generic" and a full surface scan will be executed. Let us know the result in next reply.

#6 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:31 AM

marciamelo you are in good hands now, I will unfollow.

Good Luck

~K

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users