Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron1545 wont start up - system shuts down using startup repair

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 smittydj

smittydj

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:33 PM

Hi, im new on here but have used the site many times when looking for solutions to my problems.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 (win 7) which ran out of battery and shut down as normal. When i went to restart it it said that it could not restore the session so i could try again or delete the data and start again. I initially went for the restore (twice) but it failed to load up, causing the machine to abruptly shut down. I the decided to use the delete session and start again option which again, did not work and led to the machine abruptly shutting down.

I started the machine up again and was prompted to runthe startup repair software which again caused an abrupt shutdown. I managed to start in safe mode which lasted for 5 mins but again shut down abruptly.

On the last start up i got a blue screen saying something about a serious error, it only stayed on screen for 20 secs or so so i couldnt write it down.

I cant do anything as the machine shuts down anytime up to 5 mins after powering on - never getting windows 7 running.

The fan is also running constantly and appears to be working very hard.

I have not installed any new software (to the best of my knowledge)

Is it a HDD problem? or something else?

Can anyone please shed some light as to why this is happening and suggest a fix if possible. I need my computer back!!!

Thanks in advance,

Dan.

Edited by smittydj, 18 May 2014 - 05:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:39 PM

Hello! One small thought! Is your fan running and when is the last time you cleaned your vents??

#3 smittydj

smittydj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:52 PM

Yes, fan is working and vents appear to be clear / clean. Have just given them a good "blow" out for good measure.

Thanks for the reply.

#4 smittydj

smittydj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:02 PM

I left everything shutdown for an hour and then I ran the startup repair and this time it ran through and completed. Strange......

Wonder how long it will last?

I just dont get computers!!!!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:13 AM

I just went through a similar instance of the fan working overtime (extremely loud)...finally decided to check my CPU temperature via Speccy and saw that the system was overheating.  Removed the CPU heatsink/fan, replaced the thermal compound...temps went back down to upper 30s, fan resumed normal near-quiet functioning.

You may want to check your CPU temperature against the suggested max operating range...the cpu-world.com website has reliable temp info for many CPUs.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users