Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble With Screen Shots And My Pictures

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:56 PM

Hello all !

I have Windows XP-Home, IE-8,SP-3 on this PC.

When I click on 'My Pictures' and the window opens, all of my folders and individual pictures are lined up side by side on the bottom of the window. I have to scroll left to right (horizontally) to view them.

I tried to get things back to normal where they are lined up abreast ( say 4or6 across) of each other so I can scroll down to view them ,but have had no luck.

My second issue is trying to take a screen shot.

I press and hold the ALT key and  then press the print key just as I have always done.

I then open paint and click on edit. When the edit menu opens the paste option is grayed out so I am out of luck.

Any help would be VERY much appreciated !

Thanks,

Dennis  :)

PS: I ran scans using MalwareBytes, SAS and Microsoft Security and they all came back clean.

Edited by Dennis H, 18 May 2014 - 02:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:21 PM

Hello, In the Menu bar of My Pictures, select View > Thumbnails. You probably have it set on Filmstrip. As far as the screenshot problem, make sure the window you are capturing is active by clicking on the menu bar before pressing the Alt+PrnScrn key. If this is a laptop, you may have to press the function key along with the PrntScrn key

#3 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:43 PM

Thanks for the reply JohnC_21 !

You are right ,I had it on the wrong setting. Works fine now !

I am lost though regarding the screen shot problem. Could you please explain further. What menu bar do I click on and what do you mean by active ? 

Thanks,

Dennis :)

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:52 PM

I just tested this on my computer and it does not make a difference. You should still get something if you press Alt+prtscrn whether the open Window is active or not. If the Window open is active, the menu bar will have the darker blue. If you have a Window open and you click the desktop, the shade of blue on the open window will lighten and will not be active. I thought that this may have been the problem but even if the window is not active you should still get something in Paint.

Other than the possibilty of having a function button on a laptop, I would reboot the computer and see if the problem still exists.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:00 PM

Try just pressing prt sc without alt.

#6 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:10 PM

Gave it a try no luck. (with and without ALT) The odd thing is a couple of hours ago I got it to work once after many,many tries.. I was able to save the shot to my pictures.

I tried it again on another page and when I opened edit, paste was there but the first screen shot I took was still in my browser so all  I would have been able to do is save it again to my pictures. I tried that to see if that would get rid of it but that did not work.

In other words I could not get rid of the first screen shot I took. I re-started and now I can not get a screen shot at all.

I am having this problem when using IE-8 or Google Chrome.

Speaking of Google Chrome, ever since I downloaded it a few days ago some of my settings have changed on their own like 'my pictures' setting mentioned above. May be just coincidence ????

Dennis

Edited by Dennis H, 18 May 2014 - 04:20 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:24 PM

Press Start > Run and type

clipbrd  > Okay

The clipboard window will open. If anything is in the clipboard select Edit > delete

Now press Alt + Prnscrn on the open web browser. Does anything show in the clipboard window?

#8 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:31 PM

The clipboard was blank.

I tried the alt & print and tried just alt.

When I opened clipboard there was nothing there. When I clicked on edit the paste button is grayed out.

Dennis

Edited by Dennis H, 18 May 2014 - 04:32 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:35 PM

So there is something wrong with the clipboard function.

Edit: Can you verify that this is the problem by cutting copying some text out of a document, not the browser. Does it show in the Clipboard window?

See this link. Download the GetOpenClipboard Window utility. Unzip it to the desktop. Press Alt + Prtscrn keys then double click the GetOpenClipboardWindow.exe file. What does it report?

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 May 2014 - 04:37 PM.

#10 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:41 PM

John I could not get that link on the page you referred me to work by clicking on it. I tried copying and pasting it in my browser and it came back saying it may have been removed. ??

Thanks for your patience with this !

Dennis

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:45 PM

okay, you can download it here.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/temp/GetOpenClipboardWindow.zip

#12 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:56 PM

Ok John, I have openclipboard in my tray. When I click on it a big window opens with a small box that says open clip... beneath it.

When I click on that a box opens and asks me if I am sure I want to run it. When I click yes another box opens and says:

Getopenclipboardwindow

"Successfully opened and closed the clipboard. Does not appear to be any problems " .   ????

Would you like me to try this using IE-8 rather than Chrome ?

Dennis

Edited by Dennis H, 18 May 2014 - 05:00 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:02 PM

Okay, so there is no problems detected. I am starting to run out ideas on this one.

Do this in an admin account. When you right click Computer, select Properties. In the remote tab, make sure Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop are unchecked.

#14 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:13 PM

Ok John,

I unchecked Remote Assistance. I did not see Remote Desktop.

Thanks so much for your help John. !

Maybe someone will come along that has been through this same problem before. I don't want to drive you nuts with this !  :crazy: lol

This is the first time this has come up since I have had this computer (7 years).

I downloaded a program called snapshot today to see if I could get a screen shot using it. No luck. Of course I may have done something wrong.

Thanks Again John !

Denns :)

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:15 PM

So, everything is working now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users