Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Greetings and Salutations

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 WheresMySledgehammer

WheresMySledgehammer

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:51 AM

Hi,

I've been lurking a few weeks - just when I or a friend had a computer problem. Many on this board are so awesomely beyond my geek level that at first it didn't cross my mind to join. Then I read something about membership being for all levels :idea: so I decided what the heck! Plus I'll probably need to post a specific question someday. So here I am! :bunny2:

I'm a middle-aged lady who got my start in computers in 1986 with a PC in the department office as an English grad student. I remember DOS and 5.25" and 3.5" floppies very well. These days I have a Toshiba Satellite L505 that I bought in 2010 and have loved. I am running Windows 7 that was pre-installed when I bought the laptop.

I'm beginning to be disenchanted with Microsoft from the buzz I'm hearing about Windows 8 - plus I don't like change unless I initiate it and think it's an improvement over the old. :unsure: I'm thinking of going Linux when support for Win 7 ends.

My use of my computer is for creativity - creative writing, GIMP and graphics, surfing the web, and personal business such as keeping track of finances, and boring things like that. I am hoping to purchase a Samsung Galaxy tablet for portability one of these days.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:07 PM

Hi :welcome:

I would take the buzz regarding Windows 8 with a grain of salt. I use it every day with a non touch screen Monitor and have no problems with it. I only had to do one thing to make it great. I downloaded "Classic Shell" using the link from here and it operates like Windows 7 for me as well as having the Windows 8 improvements.

This is what My Windows 8 Desktop looks like and is what appears when I boot the computer. This is using Classic Shell of course which is not from Microsoft.

http://www.bleepstatic.com/fhost/uploads/2/win8-desktop-full-size.jpg

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 18 May 2014 - 12:07 PM.
Spelling, etc.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 WheresMySledgehammer

WheresMySledgehammer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:30 PM

Thank you for that link, Roger - it's reassuring! :thumbup2:

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:26 PM

Hi, Glad to hear that, and all it took was installing a simple free add-on.

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 WheresMySledgehammer

WheresMySledgehammer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:11 PM

Although now that I'm on this forum, and also know some Linux users, I'm definitely not ruling out that option.

Edited by WheresMySledgehammer, 20 May 2014 - 12:12 PM.

#6 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:15 PM

Roger is it classicshell.net?

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:56 PM

I always just use the BleepingComputer link from here.

How to add a Start Menu to Windows 8 using Classic Shell

Which has this link http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

so it must not be the link You listed. Use either of these two links. The first one has the second one within and since they are from here you can trust them.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#8 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:28 AM

Thanks Roger

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users