Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installation/boot-up Help Needed

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 samsoknight

samsoknight

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:03 PM

I downloaded a .iso of knoppix on CD.
I have an old laptop that I formatted (now there is no OS) and would like to but knoppix on.
I set the BIOS to boot from a CD.
When I put the disc in, all it does is say, "Missing operating system"
If I leave the disc out, it says that I need to creat a larger partition (even though nothing is taking any space).
I have no idea how to fix this, and I know a fairly large amount about windows. However, I am new to other OS's.

please help me. :-)

samsoknight

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cybormoron

cybormoron

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:51 AM

hi samsoknight
did you burn the iso correctly? what burning software did you use? there should be folders and files on the cd not just an iso image. many people make this mistake by simply copying the iso image. this will not boot. your burning software should convert the iso to make a bootable cd.

a tutorial is here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/write-a-cd-dvd-image-or-iso/

a couple of good freebie burning programs here
http://www.cdburnerxp.se/
http://www.deepburner.com/

more info and programs here
http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm
I can no longer sit back and allow Microsoft infiltration, Microsoft indoctrination, Microsoft subversion, and the international Microsoft conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious open source GNU/Linux operating systems. General Jack D. Ripper.

#3 samsoknight

samsoknight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:10 PM

Thanks a lot. I was apparently not burning the disc correctly.
Now i want to run the OS from the harddrive, and for some reason, i cannot save anything to the harddrive.
this is another retarded problem, I know, but again, I am fairly (hella) new.

#4 cybormoron

cybormoron

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 01:10 AM

no problem. glad i could help. i'm actually pretty new to linux myself. only been running it several months now. i copied 3 iso's to cd's before i figured out that i was burning them wrong. the reason you can't save anything is because there's nothing on your hard drive right now to save to. no partitions or file system. there should be an install icon on the linux desktop. i'm not exactly sure what knoppix has but i'm sure there is a way to install it. since there is no data on the drive to worry about you are pretty much free to experiment with partition tools that are on the knoppix cd. read some of the documentation from the cd to learn how. basically when you install you create 3 partitions and format them with a file system. the partitions will be root, swap and home. you divide up the size of your drive for these 3 partitions.

i wish i had an empty hard drive to practice and experiment with, loool.

so how do you like running the knoppix live cd? it's a very good distro. a couple of other distros that are popular are ubuntu and PCLinuxOS. sometimes there are hardware problems with different distros and you may have to try working with another distro. knoppix is pretty good tho.
I can no longer sit back and allow Microsoft infiltration, Microsoft indoctrination, Microsoft subversion, and the international Microsoft conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious open source GNU/Linux operating systems. General Jack D. Ripper.

#5 acidburned

acidburned

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 01:13 AM

there is also a great windows iso burner called burncdcc by terrabyte.just remember to burn at a slow speed.you might also want to try something easier,like kanotix or simplyMepis.knoppix is good for a live cd,so is kanotix and mepis,but the later 2 are easy to install and setup.

Edited by acidburned, 01 June 2006 - 01:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users