I’m having some problems with the WiFi connection in my house. Below is the setup:
- Primary ADSL router / Wireless AP - EchoLife HG532 Home Gateway (TalkTalk branded)
- Wifi Repeater - TP-Link TL-WA701ND
- Wifi Repeater – Medion P85032 (MD 87070) Wiresless WIFI Extender
There are 2 issues.
- The 2 WiFi repeaters seem to break the internet connection. They seem to pair ok with the main router AP, but any devices that connect to them, can’t get out to the internet.
I have tried both WPS and manual configuration. The connection seems to be a bit intermittent – sometimes it works ok, but most of the time, the internet connection doesn’t work (the devices are connected, and the WiFi signal is good).
- More recently the WiFi connection - possibly for the main ADSL AP – seems to have become very poor. I’ve tried turning off the additional WiFi repeaters, and re-settings the wireless connection on devices, and quite often the signal will be poor, where it was once very good. Sometimes you have to move within a few feet of the router to pick up a signal.
Regarding point 1 – it seems that since day 1 of setting up the first WiFi repeater (TP Link) that it’s never worked properly, when extending the wireless connection via WiFi. I set it up following the instructions, and double checked all the settings. The repeater is broadcasting the extension, devices pick it up (with excellent WiFi strength) and connect to it ok. But, as explained the devices can’t connect to the internet.
As a work around, I used an existing CAT5 cable in the room where the TP Link is, and plugged this into it, to feed it a wired connection from the main WiFi router. The TP Link then broadcasts this connection via WiFi and all works well. Although it slightly defeats the objective of the TP Link, as it needs the CAT5 to be run into another part of the house to work. But I’ve been living with it like this for a few years.
In addition, I recently added another WiFi extender (Medion P85032 - in another room – lots of rooms, thick walls), which plugs into an electrical wall socket (for it’s power – not PLC).
Once again, I followed the instructions, and got it working. It boosted the WiFi signal well, and for about the first few hours, everything worked. After this, it started showing the same symptoms as the TP Link – i.e WiFi signal being boosted from main router, devices connect, but no internet connection.
I’ve stopped using it now, and having spent hours resetting and re-configuring etc, but I’m at a loss as to why it doesn’t work.
I’m slightly suspect of the primary ADSL router, as it seems to be possibly failing – i.e issue 2 – but can’t verify this, and getting the same problem with 2 different WiFi extenders seems a bit odd. The router is about 4 years old and came free with the ISP package.
Can somebody please help me diagnose what the problem is, and suggest a solution?