Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WiFi extender connection issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 aod_

aod_

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:11 AM

I’m having some problems with the WiFi connection in my house. Below is the setup:

• Primary ADSL router / Wireless AP - EchoLife HG532 Home Gateway (TalkTalk branded)
  • Wifi Repeater - TP-Link TL-WA701ND
  • Wifi Repeater – Medion P85032 (MD 87070) Wiresless WIFI Extender

There are 2 issues.

1. The 2 WiFi repeaters seem to break the internet connection. They seem to pair ok with the main router AP, but any devices that connect to them, can’t get out to the internet.

I have tried both WPS and manual configuration. The connection seems to be a bit intermittent – sometimes it works ok, but most of the time, the internet connection doesn’t work (the devices are connected, and the WiFi signal is good).

1. More recently the WiFi connection - possibly for the main ADSL AP – seems to have become very poor. I’ve tried turning off the additional WiFi repeaters, and re-settings the wireless connection on devices, and quite often the signal will be poor, where it was once very good. Sometimes you have to move within a few feet of the router to pick up a signal.

Regarding point 1 – it seems that since day 1 of setting up the first WiFi repeater (TP Link) that it’s never worked properly, when extending the wireless connection via WiFi. I set it up following the instructions, and double checked all the settings. The repeater is broadcasting the extension, devices pick it up (with excellent WiFi strength) and connect to it ok. But, as explained the devices can’t connect to the internet.

As a work around, I used an existing CAT5 cable in the room where the TP Link is, and plugged this into it, to feed it a wired connection from the main WiFi router. The TP Link then broadcasts this connection via WiFi and all works well. Although it slightly defeats the objective of the TP Link, as it needs the CAT5 to be run into another part of the house to work. But I’ve been living with it like this for a few years.

In addition, I recently added another WiFi extender (Medion P85032 - in another room – lots of rooms, thick walls), which plugs into an electrical wall socket (for it’s power – not PLC).

Once again, I followed the instructions, and got it working. It boosted the WiFi signal well, and for about the first few hours, everything worked. After this, it started showing the same symptoms as the TP Link – i.e WiFi signal being boosted from main router, devices connect, but no internet connection.

I’ve stopped using it now, and having spent hours resetting and re-configuring etc, but I’m at a loss as to why it doesn’t work.

I’m slightly suspect of the primary ADSL router, as it seems to be possibly failing – i.e issue 2 – but can’t verify this, and getting the same problem with 2 different WiFi extenders seems a bit odd. The router is about 4 years old and came free with the ISP package.

Can somebody please help me diagnose what the problem is, and suggest a solution?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:18 PM

So I just want to make sure I understand that the real issue isn't signal strength, that you get good connection to the wireless it's just the connection to the internet that is flaky?

When you eliminated the repeaters and just connect to the main modem/router, did you lose connection still? I know you said poor signal but not if you had internet.

And both of the extenders are set up as repeaters? They both can do a couple different modes, the Medion can even do routing. So you want both in repeater, with the same SSID, and the same password as the main router.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 aod_

aod_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:14 PM

So I just want to make sure I understand that the real issue isn't signal strength, that you get good connection to the wireless it's just the connection to the internet that is flaky?

Hi, yup the main issue is the internet connection not working on the 2 repeaters. Wifi connection to them is fine.

When you eliminated the repeaters and just connect to the main modem/router, did you lose connection still? I know you said poor signal but not if you had internet.

Yes, when the repeaters are off, and just using the main router, the internet connection is fine. Although, recently, I've noticed the WiFi signal for the router seems to be less strong at times - at least in consistency. It used to be fine 24/7. However this has only been happening for the past few weeks. The main issue has been ongoing for a few years. Extending WiFi has never worked since day 1.

And both of the extenders are set up as repeaters? They both can do a couple different modes, the Medion can even do routing. So you want both in repeater, with the same SSID, and the same password as the main router.

Both extenders are set up in repeater mode.

The first extender I bought was the TP link - and when first setting this up (about 2 years ago) I ran into the internet connection problem that I describe in the first point above. As a work around, this extender is now connected directly to the main router via cat 5 (rather than boosting the routers wifi signal), and then broadcasts the connection via WiFi to parts of the house the main router can't reach. The internet connection works fine with this set up.

The Medion doesn't have this option, and just like the TP-Link, doesn't seem to work properly when trying to boost the main routers WiFi, via a WiFi connection

All are set up using identical SSID and passwords.

Any device I use, e.g android phone, windows laptop, windows PC, android tablet - encounters the problems above.

Edited by aod_, 18 May 2014 - 02:18 PM.

#4 aod_

aod_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:40 PM

If anyone can chime in and help with this I'd really appreciate it.

I should also mention that sometimes ive noticed devices will seem to try and lock on to one or the other wifi connections even if the other one is physically closer, resulting in a poorer signal. Removing and reconnecting the access point doesnt often work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users