Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re Slow Boot?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 doulton

doulton

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:19 AM

In order to upgrade my desktop Pc I am trying to Reinstall windows Xp pro. After a boot up ,al, I get is a black screen   and a message that states  "IN ORDER TO CONTINUE PRESS F1 /F2 key".  Neither of these do anything   I am now left with an unusable Pc   Would A soft boot up help?,and if so how is this performed       Thank You.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:48 PM

Hi,

It sounds like something didn't go quite right.

Have you tried to start over? What media are you using to do the reinstall? Did you format before trying to install a new operating system?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:06 PM

In order to upgrade my desktop Pc I am trying to Reinstall windows Xp pro. After a boot up ,al, I get is a black screen   and a message that states  "IN ORDER TO CONTINUE PRESS F1 /F2 key".  Neither of these do anything   I am now left with an unusable Pc   Would A soft boot up help?,and if so how is this performed       Thank You.

Upgrade from what? Windows 2000 or earlier? Or are you performing hardware upgrades & just want to reinstall?

Either way, you need Genuine XP install media, you need to boot from it & unless performing a Repair Install, you need to choose the point on your drive (or all of it), then format & the install will begin. If you're using OEM reinstall media, you may or may not be asked for your key (after the format & reboot) if so, it's on the side, back or bottom of the computer. It's best to write this down, or take a good close up picture with a digital camera so that it's readable.

You'll be prompted for other info, such as your time zone, joining a network (if desired) maybe one or two more things & the install will complete. You'll see a progress time in the left lower corner, after the second reboot, when there's no time left, remove the CD.

The first thing upon reboot, you can register your computer (optional) & activate it (optional for the moment). If you're connected by an Ethernet cable, it's best to at least activate, if not, you'll have to in just a couple of minutes. However, if this is reinstall media, such as a Dell OEM reinstall XP CD & you're on the proper computer, activation may not be required, but the Genuine Validation process is to get all of your updates.

My advice is to repunt & start over.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users