Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC fan repair

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 xThunderxWolfx

xThunderxWolfx

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:41 AM

So, I noticed when gaming my computer would give of a permanent marker type smell, I thought maybe it was just getting hot, but as the smell got stronger I decided to see what was up, my friend told me to check the fans, and low and behold, a fan had stopped moving. (Pretty sure it's a GPU fan but not positive.) So I dust it out, because there was a ton of dust in it. And now it refuses to spin. help? I have pictures of the affected fan.

It's the bottom right fan in the picture. The only one without motion blur. if this isn't clear enough, i have a few more.
http://i.imgur.com/rAunmFp.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/v6L1mix.jpg 
http://i.imgur.com/yddPhez.jpg
here are two more, just in case.
And my GPU is an Nvidia gtx 560 ti

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:48 AM

You need a new video card.

#3 xThunderxWolfx

xThunderxWolfx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:50 AM

You need a new video card.

*Sigh*

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:15 AM

Before purchasing a new card, I would try replacing the fans first.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/gtx-560-fan

Edit: A lot of fan issues with this card.

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=23056

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 May 2014 - 07:22 AM.

#5 xThunderxWolfx

xThunderxWolfx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:18 AM

Before purchasing a new card, I would try replacing the fans first.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/gtx-560-fan

Thanks man.  How difficult would this be? Keep in mind I've never installed any computer part. 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:09 AM

If you have not replaced any computer part, I would recommend you have a good independent repair shop or a friend that has done this before to do it for you. If you do it yourself you need to take certain precautions. When removing the card, make sure the power supply is unplugged and you have grounded yourself against some bare metal on the case to discharge any static electricity. Every card is different but you will have to remove the fan cover first and then see how the fans are connected. Replacing the fans may require the cleaning and addition of thermal paste to the heatsinks.

#7 xThunderxWolfx

xThunderxWolfx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:52 PM

If you have not replaced any computer part, I would recommend you have a good independent repair shop or a friend that has done this before to do it for you. If you do it yourself you need to take certain precautions. When removing the card, make sure the power supply is unplugged and you have grounded yourself against some bare metal on the case to discharge any static electricity. Every card is different but you will have to remove the fan cover first and then see how the fans are connected. Replacing the fans may require the cleaning and addition of thermal paste to the heatsinks.

I uploaded a couple pictures of the fan. My more computer savvy friend says I have to replace the whole fan setup on the video card, not just the one fan.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:50 PM

That is very possible because different card companies use different cooling fan contruction. You might want to contact Customer Service to verify if the fans can be replaced separately. I believe the Card is a Gigabyte. The video card has a three year warranty. If in the warranty period, I would RMA it back to Gigabyte.

#9 xThunderxWolfx

xThunderxWolfx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:55 PM

That is very possible because different card companies use different cooling fan contruction. You might want to contact Customer Service to verify if the fans can be replaced separately. I believe the Card is a Gigabyte. The video card has a three year warranty. If in the warranty period, I would RMA it back to Gigabyte.

I'll have to check that out. I bought the computer through centaurus computers, so i'm talking to them, too.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:59 PM

Another thing. You may have better luck at the dedicated Gigabyte Graphics Card forum in regards to the fan replacement on your particular card.

#11 xThunderxWolfx

xThunderxWolfx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:03 PM

Another thing. You may have better luck at the dedicated Gigabyte Graphics Card forum in regards to the fan replacement on your particular card.

Alright, thanks. I hope I don't have to add more fans to compensate if it isn't replaceable.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:05 PM

Please keep us updated on how everything turns out.  Thanks.

#13 xThunderxWolfx

xThunderxWolfx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:07 PM

I will. Gonna contact them in a bit, got stuff to do.

#14 xThunderxWolfx

xThunderxWolfx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:11 PM

So, i found out that it is under warranty, but the company that built the computer told me that "Dust damage isn't covered under warranty" And I'm pretty sure it wasn't dust damage, as I clean my computer out regularly. 

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:32 PM

I would contact Gigabyte's customer service and not the company you bought the computer from, Just say one of the fans is not working and other people have the same problem when you looked on the internet. If you Google Gigabyte gtx 560 ti you will find numerous people with the same problem. Explain to Gigabyte you have the sales reciept of the computer, Tell them the date of purchase and ask them if you can return it for a new one. They should give you an RMA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users