Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Programs will no longer open

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 eldaigler

eldaigler

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:10 AM

After installing the latest Windows 7 update, my programs will no longer open. I cannot run anything and all my icons have disappeared. I've looked for similar posts but they are all about malware and viruses. This happened as a result of a Windows update on May 15.

Please help! :killcomp:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:44 AM

Use System Restore and take it back to before the update. Then try the update again.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:49 PM

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

With the computer off press the power button and immediately start tapping the F8 key until the Advanced Boot Options opens.

Use the up or down arrow to navigate to Safe Mode, press Enter to choose this option.

After installing the latest Windows 7 update, my programs will no longer open. I cannot run anything and all my icons have disappeared.

If you can boot into Safe Mode you should be able to do the system restore from there.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users