Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista HDD Activity

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 klavant

klavant

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:33 PM

Hi,

I am troubleshooting something that has me stumped.  Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 64Bit, on a Toshiba A505.  The HDD light seems to be flashing more than I think it should be, while the PC is idle.  The original symptom was intermittent performance issues.  I have used Process Monitor and Activity Indicator to see what is reading/writing to/from the HDD.  To be honest, I don't see anything really odd.  When the led is flashing, the virtual LED in Activity Indicator is not in synch, which makes me wonder what's going on.

I have scanned for Malware with a litany of tools and found very little and cleaned what they did find.  (Malwarebytes, MSE, Super Anti SpyWare, ADWCleaner, TDSS Killer, etc...)  I have defragged the HDD and PST files from Outlook. 

when loading web pages from MSN, it seems slow in both Chrome and IE.  This occurs while the HDD LED is indicating disk activity.  Again, ProcMon and AI don't show any significant utilization (disk or CPU)  while the LED is blinking.  What the heck could be causing the disk to be accessed, but not show in these 2 tools?  OR, is there a better tool to use to find out what is chugging away on the disk?   I also disabled all of the Toshiba bloat utilities and am running with minimal startup items and services.

Thanks in advance

Kurt 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 johnebadbak

johnebadbak

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:04 PM

have you checked out windows Task manager processes  cpu and performance issues.

may lead to an indication of hdd activity

#3 klavant

klavant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:25 PM

Yeah, that was the first place I looked.  Didn't see anything obvious there, so I used the other utils, since they provide a higher level of detail than Task manager.

KL

#4 westbound

westbound

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:20 AM

I have seen similar activity on my home built rig. I have also removed a lot of malware.  But, windows vista processes program shows very little pagefile or network activity.  So we are probably not being hacked or used as peer to peer terminals in my opinon.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:07 PM

Vista has a task idle condition which when it is triggered will run scheduled tasks.  Do you have any scheduled tasks?

There should be a way to disable this if this is what is causing this.

When you see this unexplained activity look in the task manager and see what is running at the time and the see what background processes are running.

Edited by dc3, 08 June 2014 - 02:08 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users