Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rebooting issue

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 scasper1

scasper1

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:21 PM

Hello to all, I have an old dell dimension 8400 that I am working on for a friend. It has set up along time, it had a bad power supply which I replaced with a identical replacement (oem). It will power on now but keeps rebooting. It does nor recognize any cd tray, even an external one. I'm sure I need to run a repair, but it will not boot from any source like the usb external drive, and yes I have changed the boot option. Please help. Thanks in advance, Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:35 PM

Hello, Can you get the computer to boot normally while using safe mode? Also, when pressing F8, there is an option to Disable Automaticl Startup on System Failure. If you enable that, you might get a blue screen that will help find the problem.

Pressing F12 at boot should bring up the boot menu allowing you to pick the boot device.

#3 scasper1

scasper1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:48 PM

well it gives the option when you tap f8 to go into safemode, but when to choose the option of safemode it goes right back to rebooting.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:50 PM

Select the option at F8 to "Disable Automatic Startup on System Failure". Does the computer throw a blue screen?

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 May 2014 - 05:50 PM.

#5 scasper1

scasper1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:52 PM

I did see that disable feature, I will try that

#6 scasper1

scasper1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:54 PM

it did blue screen and 0x0000007b error

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:01 PM

This error is usually do to a hard drive controller error. See this page.

You can try going into BIOS and changing from AHCI to IDE mode.

Pressing F12 at boot should bring up a screen with the option to do diagnostics. I would run that if you can.

Is there important information on the computer that needs to be backed up?

There is also the option to do a factory reset that will take the computer back to the point when it was purchased, but this will delete all personal data on the drive and also any programs installed since purchase.

#8 scasper1

scasper1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:12 PM

there is info that needs to be saved

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:48 PM

Were you able to run the diagnostics by tapping F12 at boot?

There are two ways to go about saving the data on the hard drive. The first is to remove the drive and attach it to another computer either internally or externally using an USB external enclosure or adapter. like this. The external enclosure would depend on whether the drive is SATA or IDE.

The other option is to burn a small linux distro. I recommend Puppy linux. You can download version 5.2.8 here. You would need to burn the iso using Windows 7 by double clicking the file or using a program like Imgburn. You said you cannot boot from CD but I would try using the F12 option to get to the boot menu and see if you can boot a CD using this method.

If does not work, try booting Puppy from a USB flash drive. Download Rufus and in the dropdown box, select iso and browse to the iso file you downloaded. Check quick format. Anything on the drive will be deleted. Attach the flash drive to the computer. Boot up the computer and tap F12. You should get the option to boot the flash drive. After Puppy boots, you should see the hard drive in the lower left of the desktop. Click it once and the FileManager will open. Attach another USB flash drive to the computer. A USB icon will appear on the desktop. Click it once and another FileManager window will open. Then transfer the files by dragging from the hard drive window to the USB  window. A dialog will open asking whether to copy or move. Select copy. Here is a guide explaining the process.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users