Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP laptop vs. laptop help needed...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hazelludlow

hazelludlow

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:11 PM

am about to purchase a laptop and have narrowed it down to these two.  pretty much sole use for music production...opinions on which would be better would be great.

HP 17 E046US

(http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03985251&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en)

vs.

HP 15-D038X

(http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c04217202#N46)

thanks much,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:47 AM

HP comes with SO much bloatware and SO many background bloatware tasks running it's a real headache. I have an A4 based HP and it's running 5 to 7 percent cpu hit constantly at idle because of all the background garbage going on. I don't even have the antivirus active. Get an ASUS.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,050 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:55 AM

If you are going to be lugging it around a lot I would lean toward the 15", less ram but a faster processor then the one in the 17" so they probably are very close in performance.  I bought a 17 and it rarely leaves the table top, I grab my smaller Acers when ever I go anywhere.  As far as Bloat Ware all OEM machines have a ton, just run DeCrapifier as soon as you buy it then load only what you want.  The lap top market is extremely competitive they all try their best it is more a matter of hear say which is best.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 hazelludlow

hazelludlow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:23 PM

hey, thanks for the input...i have ditched the 17 and now am wondering between the HP with a 3130M CPU and a Toshiba with a 3120M CPU.  the plus i see on the Toshiba is that the memory is expandable to 16GB while the HP tops out at 8GB.  Again, what would you suggest?

bests,

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,050 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:58 PM

Not familiar with those, but my Toshiba has been very good for over two years now.

#6 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:23 PM

If you want a quality notebook buy a Lenovo, an ASUS, or a Macbook. Anything else is going to be crappy. Avoid Acer like the plague. Also, an i3 is going to be pokey for what you're looking at doing.

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,050 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:09 PM

I have two Acer's one has been totted thousands of miles over the past 5-6 years, the other my grand kid had for two years.  I thought the grand kids machine was a parts machine, I cleaned it up it is now my away from home short trip machine.  Though when it comes to a vote as which to buy Asus, Toshiba, Dell, Apple are the ones that have proven their worth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users