Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Keeps Freezing Despite Hardware Tests [Memtest86/Seatools]

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 HungryEyes

HungryEyes

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:41 AM

Hello!

I've had some help with this problem before, but it persists.

I'm on a 6 year old laptop that I use for small tasks, and it has this issue where once every so often (about once a day, or more), everything just stops in it's tracks!

What I mean by this is, the screen freezes, I cannot move my mouse, I get a "frozen audio" sound, as if a little blip of sound is repeating like a full auto BB gun.  The only way to return to normal is to do a force shutdown.

This can get hectic when I'm working on a school project, or anything of that sort.

What I have already done:

• Ran SeaTools for Seagate HDD.  Failed first attempt.  After repair, passed the last two tests.
  • Ran Memtest86 for 6 passes last night with no errors.
  • Ran updated anti-malware and antivirus programs on full scans, with no bad results.

Here are my Memtest86 results.

What else could possible be wrong here? Should I format my hard drive?

Thank you for your help,

Adam

DSCN1342_zpsde3cbad5.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:41 PM

If the hard drive itself is causing the problem, formatting will not help. The drive will still have the problem

If it's windows causing the problem, then formatting can help, since you'd be re-doing fresh windows that likely wouldn't have the same problem.

Here are my main guesses in order of their likelihood!

1. overheating video card

Could possibly solve this by cleaning out the computer, blowing dust out of things, running the computer on a hard desk, not on fabric etc. If this is the case, it will probably still freeze sometimes, but you could make it last longer by getting rid of the dust. IF this was the cause, a more permanent solution (which most people can't do) could be really taking apart the laptop and re-doing the thermal paste. Arguably too difficult and not worth it.

I feel there is like a 90% chance that this is the problem.

2. bad video card

Possibly the video card is just bad now, and cannot be fixed. No solution, the computer is just screwed.

3. video card driver issue

Fully remove the video card driver and software, and reinstall the latest drivers. Could fix it IF this was the cause.

4. failing hard drive

When seatools "repairs" a drive, all it is doing is telling the drive to stop using the bad parts of the drive. After that, more parts of the drive can and probably will continue to go bad. I think it's unlikely, but this could cause the issue you're having. Either way, the drive is on its way out. (Having said that, I have a drive with the same issue, and it's still working months later - but I don't rely on it working, you need to do regular backups.)

Edited by bludshot, 13 June 2014 - 05:41 PM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:58 PM

Let's get some information which will help us understand exactly what is going on here.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, copy it and paste it in your next post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users