Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help finding correct ram for my motherboard.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Shinobi_32

Shinobi_32

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:11 AM

Hi,

I'm attempting to upgrade the Ram on my Gigabyte GA-G41M (Rev 2.0) motherboard from 4GB (2x2gb) to 8GB (2x4gb), but I'm having problems finding the correct 4GB ram modules.

I have already purchased and tried 2x4GB of corsair XMS3 but i just get continuous beeps at startup. After investigating this it seems that it didn't work because this ram uses a Single sided high density 512M ram chip, but this motherboard supports low density double sided 256M ram chips.

So can anybody point me to the correct ram for this motherboard. I believe what i need is 4GB 240pin 256M DDR3 Ram.

"Be careful. The chipset can only address low density 256MB RAM chips -buying ‘off the shelf’ 1333MHz DDR3 will result in failure to post (as the newer RAM sticks have single-sided high density 512MB RAM chips on the sticks). 8GB no problems there, so long as it is low-density double sided."

http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4213#sp

Thanks in advance

Lee :)

Edited by Shinobi_32, 17 May 2014 - 09:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:40 AM

Did you order them on-line and have your computer scanned for the proper RAM chips for your motherboard?

Can you contact where you bought your RAM chips from

--- If you purchased them at a store, bring them back. Even if you can't return them see if the store can help you find what you need

--- How about where you bought the motherboard from? Contact them also

Another thing you could do is check the p/n-description of the installed RAM chips

--- Who is the manufacturer?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:07 AM

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-g41m-combo.pdf

Louis

#4 Shinobi_32

Shinobi_32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:25 AM

Did you order them on-line and have your computer scanned for the proper RAM chips for your motherboard?

Can you contact where you bought your RAM chips from

--- If you purchased them at a store, bring them back. Even if you can't return them see if the store can help you find what you need

--- How about where you bought the motherboard from? Contact them also

Another thing you could do is check the p/n-description of the installed RAM chips

--- Who is the manufacturer?

Hi cmptrgy,

The ram i have installed now is ram i pulled out of my old system (SK Hynix HMT125U6TFR8C-H9), and they worked without any problems, but they're not 512M modules so i would expect them to work anyway.

I have already contacted Gigabyte asking them if they could point me to 4gb ram modules which will work, but still haven't had a reply.

I feel quite certain if i could just find 4GB DDR3 ram modules with 256M Module Configuration, it would work just fine, but i'm having trouble finding any.

#5 Shinobi_32

Shinobi_32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:28 AM

Hi Hamluis,

Yes i already have that pdf but i'm not sure how accurate it is, as i've read of other people with similar problems purchasing ram based off that chart but the ram still didn't work.

I've also checked a few of them and they're not 256M module configuration, they're 512M which won't work.

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:27 PM

Trying to match up the correct chips for your motherboard certainly is challenging. According to the website you posted for your mobo it states Please refer "Memory Support List" for the latest supported memory speeds and memory modules. It’s kinda hard to do that when they don’t even provide it for their own product

Since the SK Hynix HMT125U6TFR8C-H9 work ok, how about matching up additional chips to them?

--- Call HYNIX and discuss your situation

When you acquired the Corsair chips, were you able to run your system configuration from their website and the chips you bought were based on their analysis?

--- Have you contacted Corsair about what you do need? Call them if you have to

Do the same for some other companies; go online and run their system configuration

--- Afterward, call them per your specific requirements

--- When you contacted Gigabyte, did you let them know you will buy the memory sticks you need from them or who they refer you to?

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:40 AM

See also http://www.pc-specs.com/mobo/GigaByte/GA-G41M-Combo_%28rev._2.0%29/1628/Compatible_RAM

Tekken

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:03 PM

shinobi_32 have you run a companies memory analyzer on your pc? I would imagine that their analyzer takes into account the chipset involved.

But I would still call whatever company you want to work with to make sure their recommended chips match your need

#9 Shinobi_32

Shinobi_32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:33 PM

Thanks for the replys guys.

cmptrgy, I've contacted Gigabyte and corsair along with Dabs where i bought the ram so I'm just waiting for the replys. I think I've found the correct 4GB ram modules for this MB now though anyway.

G. SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model F3-8500CL7D-8GBRL

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231308

Thats the ram i need for my CPU. If my CPU was 1333mhz then i could order the same ram as that one but the 1333mhz version not the 1066mhz one.

Not that it makes much difference though because even if i bought an Intel Q9650 1333mhz CPU and then bought the 1333mhz ram i would still need to overclock the MB as its a 1066mhz MB but has the settings to be OC to 1333mhz.

As this computer is going to be for work i want to avoid over-clocking it, to reduce wear and tear on the MB.

jhayz, That link is where i got the info to buy the corsair xms3 ram that i have but doesn't work lol Funny thing is they don't even list the correct Gskill ram at all. Thanks for having a look for me anyway. :)

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:24 PM

You certainly do your homework. I can't tell whether or not the posted chips you found meet the low density double sided 256M requirement but I hope you have found what you are looking for; please let us know the results

#11 Shinobi_32

Shinobi_32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:53 AM

The new ram arrived today (G. SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model F3-8500CL7D-8GBRL), but after trying it the computer still won't start i just get a long series of beeps then nothing. I also tried just plugging one stick of the 4GB ram in but still the same.

I now believe the reason for this could be because my CPU (Intel E5500) has a speed of 800mhz and the ram is 1066mhz. What do you think guys could this be the reason??
It's driving me crazy now. I don't want to have to send the ram back because all the research i did pointed to this being the correct one, so i don't know what i'd try next.

I'm not completely against the idea of overclocking the CPU, just to make it work with 1066mhz ram if thats the problem, but I've never overclocked before so I'm worried i'd damage the system. I've read an overclocking guide but what i could do with is some help in exactly which settings to change to overclock the 800mhz CPU to be compatible with the 1066mhz ram for my Gigabyte G41-Combo MB.

Thanks
Lee :)

EDIT: After more investigations it would appear that my Intel E5500 CPU cannot handle any more than 4GB of ram. :( Oh well it's not the end of the world as i plan on upgrading to the Q9650 CPU anyway.

Edited by Shinobi_32, 24 May 2014 - 10:03 AM.

#12 DDK65JAG

DDK65JAG

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 02:45 PM

Just a WAG.....could you be installing your DDR3 DIMMs in the wrong slots?  According to the manual for your mobo,  DDR2 DIMMs are

installed in slot # 1 & 3 ,while DDR3 DIMMs are installed in slot # 2 & 4 (with slot # 1 being closest to the CPU).

DDK

#13 Shinobi_32

Shinobi_32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:25 PM

Hey DDK65JAG,

yes I'm definitely inserting in the correct slots as i currently have 2x2gb DDR3 ram inserted which works fine.

I'm quite sure the problem is with the CPU, so I'm upgrading and I'll update this thread as soon as I've tried it out.

#14 DDK65JAG

DDK65JAG

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:09 PM

Just in case.....I also noticed that DDR2 & DDR3 cannot be used together.

DDK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users