Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Junk Files

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ramsey76

ramsey76

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:08 PM

Hello

I work from home and today I had to check something in my registry for a work program . My Company IT helped me make the required registry change.

While I was in the registry I noticed many entries like Mega search and other junk entries.

I have no knowledge of how a Registry works.

How do I get this "junk" off my computer. ? Is there a need to get this stuff off my PC ?

I have a couple of spyware programs and Norton Corporate Anti Virus and they have not found any problems with my junk registry entries

I would appreciate any input.

Thanks

Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:27 PM

Most computers can have hundreds, perhaps thousands of orphaned registry entries and still operate correctly and not have any performance issues related to the orphaned entries.

I have no knowledge of how a Registry works.

It is a fascinating, albeit a dry subject. Google it and read all you can. There are also many books on the subject. The basic recommendations are as follows:

1) Do NOT touch your registry without proper backups.
2) Don't touch with the registry if you are not having specific problems that can be corrected by altering the registry, and you have proper backups.
3) Don't touch your registry unless you know exactly what you are doing, or under the direction of someone who knows exactly what they are doing, and you have proper backups.

Deleting or changing the wrong entry can make your computer unbootable.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users