Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PowerPoint 2003 and font size / smearing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,206 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:08 AM

I am an OK Powerpoint user if not in the Expert class and I am having a font problem I haven't come across before. I have created a humourous presentation on the subject of a small teddy bear's trip to France.

The presentation consists of photos with static text on them and animated text coming in after varying time periods. Sometimes, not all the time, this text is appearing in a huge font size - the width of the screen and more - see this image :

http://imageshack.com/a/img836/9909/6km6.jpg

The small text in the background is typed onto the image and appears correctly, the very large text is animated text and should appear as one size bigger (ie 6 points). I have checked the timings and they all appear correct and in any case it is not always the same animations that give this trouble !

I have run this presentation on at least three different computers and the same thing happens on all of them. Strangely, it happens less often, or not at all, if I run the presentation more than once. In other words, the second or third time I run it I get fewer faults !  Trying a different presentation, made on the same computer with the same version of Powerpoint and similar animations, works perfectly.

Anybody got any thoughts ?

Chris Cosgrove

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:51 PM

You've been hacked by the French, they don't want you or your teddy spreading this propaganda.

or

There might be a corrupt area in the saved file. Have you tried 'saving as' to create a new version?

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,206 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:32 PM

It wasn't my teddy bear - it is my sister-in-law's !  And if you think that photo is bad, you want to see the one of it riding a glass fibre sheep !

I thought I had done that, but I will give it another whirl. The other thought that had crossed my mind is that my PowerPoint has got corrupted, which will require a repair re-install which can wait until the next time I need PowerPoint.

Interestingly, I ran it on a computer running Office 2010 the other day and none of the smearing happened, but none of the animations worked either. The text I did have animated plus a couple of image animations just appeared instead of fading in or spinning or whatever.

I might go back to this one when I have finished a major image re-naming project that is a priority - taking these photos was why I was in France in the first place. The teddy bear was very much a side issue !  Even if slightly faulty, my sister-in-law was both delighted and highly amused with the presentation.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:52 PM

You're one of those people who kidnaps garden gnomes, and then sends photos and postcards from the gnome from all around the world. I've seen it before.

and

Yea, it's pretty likely the installation is corrupted. I agree.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,206 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 06:16 PM

But my dear TsVk!, garden gnomes (nains de jardin in French) are so yesterday . . .

I am inclined to agree about my PP installation but I am not going to screw around with my Office installation until I have finished the project I am involved with at the moment. I have some 23,000 photos to check off for which is the better quality, re-title and tick off on a 10,7000 line database in Excel. Yes, I know if I do an Office re-install my data is not going to be touched - apart from anything else it is backed up to a fare-thee-well - but i just don't need the aggro at the moment !  And against that lot, 40 or so images of a teddy bear in France is merely a drop in the ocean.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:19 PM

The French just don't understand gnomes like the British, like the British don't understand fine wine like the French.

Office has a repair install that is non-destructive, from the programs and features option in the control panel (very easy), and can do a bunch of other stuff from the command line with switches (also easy fixes). Though you probably know all this.

You may consider your teddy pictures innocuous, but to a right sided French person you could be a national threat.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,206 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:13 PM

My problem is not that I don't understand fine wines, it's that I can't afford them !

I'll give the repair install a go - I never thought of trying to do it from Control panel - and past experience of using the install disc to do repairs rapidly teaches one to be very, very careful.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users