Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Rename Folder in Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mediamayven

mediamayven

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:30 PM

Hello, Hi!

I've had this hugely vexing problem that has disabled my ability to rename my new or old  folders, the results of which are probably due to having shut down many Windows programs that were hogging all RAM (only 4 G's) making it nearly impossible to use.

I've consulted the many sites that have turned up in a search towards helping to resolve the problem dealing with permissions, ownership and the like, command prompt approaches but nothing works despite my status as administrator.

I've tried re-starting many of the programs I shut down but so far have not been able to regain my ability to change folder names. 

I ordinarily would have simply done a systems restore which is how I've usually resolved most of the problems that crop up but having recently installed Bitdefender, I'm unable to do a systems restore without removing the program then re-installing 

it which is a terrible complicated, complex pain.

You've helped me before regarding problems that I thought were un-resolvable but have always manged to hekp me dig myself out of a seemingly hopeless situation.

The computer is a 32 bit Windows 7 configuration.

Any help guidance on this matter would be greatly appreciated

I'd like to express my utmost appreciation for anything you might suggest to help resolve this dilemma I'm in.

Sincerely.

mediamayven

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mediamayven

mediamayven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:31 AM

I've found the answer here and thought that in reading the Microsoft Answers post the problem seemed widespread. People reported being unable to change their folders name due to having downloaded a Windows update There's a file that you download and unzip with winrar using the 64 bit version.

I had the problem on both of my computers, one 64 bit,  another 32 bit. After spending hours jerking around with permission settings, taking ownership,

command prompt settings, restoring indexing, creating new accounts, none of which did a thing and was all to no avail, I found the solution here.

After scrolling through the litany of complaints occurring in 2010, there's a registry fix you download that is stored at Microsoft OneDrive that is the only solution I believe exists in resolving this problem And so provided the solution because I'm sure it will come up here at Bleeping Computer one way or another.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/renaming-any-folder-produces-could-not-find-this/d907e1d0-648b-4b26-a377-c5116238f336?page=2

JeevusCompact replied on
  •  

icon_reply.png?ver=4.8.0.37

I'm also experiencing this on Win7 x64.

I had just installed a few updates like KB975496, KB976422, and KB980408 via Windows Update, when i got back from work about 8 hours ago, then it started happening. Tried uninstalling/installing.

It occurs on EVERY folder, hds, user accounts, also in safe mode. Offline files are also disabled. No AV and no indexing.

I have Windows 7 32bit.

I too am experiencing this problem.  It has just started within the last day or so.

Today is April 28th, 2010.

This is very annoying as I am creating and renaming folders all day long.

Yup, I formatted & came to find out it is Update KB980408, just uninstalling will not due. I had to format, install all updates except KB980408. I found it here http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24158662-New-MS-Updates-today-4272010 7th post down under KB980408. So I formatted, installed all updates except KB980408, no more renaming problems.
  •  
  •  
  •  
defaultuser50.png?ver=4.8.0.37
Found this helpful 0
Hayley-123 replied on
  •  

Also having the same problem here since installing updates!!!  Very annoying!
  •  
  •  
  •  
Found this helpful 42
Answer
varredor replied on
  •  

I finally got it.

I used the same solution for the similar issue in Windows Vista. Once i got to my company laptop, i exported this 2 registry keys.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\FolderDescriptions

Merged into my pc and voilà !!

The 'shell' command also works again (ex: shell:personal brings up the account folder)

I uploaded the reg file and you can get it here http://cid-fb5a28bc4a1cc9b6.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Folder%5E_fix%5E_win7%5E_x64/FolderDescriptions.rar

This is for Win7 x64. Use it at your own risk.

•  
  •  
  •  
Found this helpful 0
sdlabs replied on
  •  

Thanks Varredor, I'll test this tomorrow (x64 at work). Any idea of a reg patch for x86 ?

edit: The reg patch works wonderfully, thanks!

... now something similar in 32-bit to fix my laptop and I can call it a week!

•  
  •  
  •  
Found this helpful 0
KnifeEdge replied on
  •  

This is for Win7 x64. Use it at your own risk.

Any chance to get something like this for the 32Bit users?

Please?

Thanks!

•  
  •  
  •  
Found this helpful 0
iCole replied on
  •  

varredor: Dude I freaking love you. Thank you so much for uploading this, it fixed the damn problem for my 64-bit Windows 7! Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users