Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Network Doesn't Catch Internet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 helpmeplease34

helpmeplease34

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:46 PM

Hi, I have a windows XP computer and I have tried three different wireless routers to try to make the computer connect. However, the computer always keeps it as "open" instead of WPA-PSK and AES. I don't know why it changes back to open again place I save it and the wireless adapter isn't able to connect. I haven't had this problem with Windows 7 or my other XP computer. Any suggestions? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:57 AM

Does the PC "see" the SSID of the router?

If it does, is the network showing as secured or unsecured?

#3 helpmeplease34

helpmeplease34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:55 AM

It found the router and says it has great connection and asks for the password but when I try to connect it says it is " validating identity" or "limited or no connectivity"

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:17 AM

Are you using the software that comes with the wireless adapter or the default Windows wireless utility?

I ask this because many times, the Windows utility does a better job & I've also seen some of these software options causing conflicts with one another. Though the provided software may give a few more features, the default Windows connection utility often tends to work better.

If this is the case, one can totally remove the software package (or disable it at Startup) & just use Windows for connections. In the case of a new adapter, just have the computer plugged into an Ethernet port on the router & run Windows Update to install the needed software for it to operate, rather than installing the provided software.

Once that's installed, then remove the Ethernet cable, it should be easy to log onto the connection. It should provide whatever security that the router has, so long as the adapter supports the features. Most any newly required adapter supports WPA2-PSK & other standards. Once connected, this can be seen in the Advanced settings or Properties of the connection (a little digging may be needed to find this).

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users