Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade from XP to W7 without Disk?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ocean77

ocean77

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:32 PM

I was just curious is it possible to upgrade from XP to W7 without Windows 7 Software disk? Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:36 PM

Will your PC run Win7?

Download and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if your PC is ready for Windows 7. It scans your hardware, devices, and installed programs for known compatibility issues, gives you guidance on how to resolve potential issues found, and recommends what to do before you upgrade.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=20

Edited by NickAu1, 17 May 2014 - 06:40 PM.

#3 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:06 AM

Win XP to Win7 FAQ... http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/upgrading-to-windows-7-faq .

#4 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:50 AM

Thank you all very much. This is for a friend. I have Windows 8 and I was going to assist him with improving his desktop. He is on a budget so I may suggest purchasing a refurbished W7 desktop, it doesn't cost much more than W7 software.... correct? He said he hasn't had virus protection for quite sometime so I'm planning on going in (via TeamViewer)  and installing Microsoft Essentials. I'm hoping I will not need any updates. Do you think this is a possibility?

#5 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:24 AM

I'm hoping I will not need any updates. Do you think this is a possibility?

Any updates for what? MSE?

If you're talking about the refurb W7 machine, then it probably will need the normal windows updates that it hasn't had since the refurb.

#6 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:32 AM

No, I"m speaking of the XP PC.

Edited by ocean77, 17 May 2014 - 08:51 AM.

#7 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:39 AM

You can't get updates for Win XP since April 8, 2014. MS has ended support for that OS.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,850 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:24 AM

You can always get updates which are not already installed, using Windows Update.

I just did a clean install yesterday on one of my systems...all critical updates available and easily downloaded/installed.

Microsoft also pushed out an IE update after the announced drop-dead date for XP.

Additionally...any program or driver which was built with MS.Net...will require installation of the specific version of MS.Net...which will bring forth the need to install any critical updates to MS.Net which were not previously installed.

Louis

#9 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:34 AM

You can always get updates which are not already installed, using Windows Update.

I just did a clean install yesterday on one of my systems...all critical updates available and easily downloaded/installed.

I didn't know that! It's good to know a clean install will still be patched up to April 2014.

#10 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:52 AM

Wow! Thank you for the INFO.

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:48 AM

Yes, and after fully updating, including driver install, & running Disk Cleanup & Defrag, but before adding any 3rd party software, backup (image) the drive. This will give you a "fresh install" whenever needed in minutes, rather than hours.

to know a clean install will still be patched up to April 2014.

Macrium Reflect (Free) is good for this purpose. Be sure to create a rescue CD for when needed for recovery.

Cat

Edited by hamluis, 17 May 2014 - 12:12 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote box - Hamluis

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users