Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony VGA-cr190

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Deanoy40

Deanoy40

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:55 PM

A friend of mine sold me this sony laptop cheap. I don't know much about computers but it doesn't let me update any programs. I wanna do a factory reset but don't know what to do. Do I need some kind of an install pack? Or get windows 8? Please help with some advice on the cheapest way to do this. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:58 AM

Welcome,

If your 'friend' didn't also provide the installation disks that came with the laptop he/she isn't as much of a friend as you thought.

Can you provide some additional details about the hardware and software?

It may be possible to get a replacement set of installation disks from the manufacturer - at a price.

Before trying to install windows 8 check to see if your laptop can run that software.

When you say that you cannot update any programs, exactly which programs are you trying to update and what error messages are displayed?

Can you download and install a new program? Is there any security software installed, and is it up to date?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Deanoy40

Deanoy40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:39 AM

I don't know much about computers but I will try my best. No disks were given and a pop up saying updates are needed to move on. I'm turning it on now to give an exact window. Most things that pop up r anti virus that cost a ton of money. I was able to be the administrator on the comp so I do enter a password. It takes about 3-4 minutes just for the home screen to come on. Wish I could show u what I mean. First thing that just popped up was register comp now or later. It says program can't start because core foundation is missing from comp. I'm gonna try to register the comp. it's givin me an error when I put the registration key in and antivirus pop ups keep coming.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:01 AM

This computer seems to be seriously infected and because it was given to you, I would recommend a full factory reset. If the restore partition is still on the hard drive, Press Alt+F10 at power-up. If that does not work only tap the F10 key at power-up.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 May 2014 - 11:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users