Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer keeps restarting after overheat

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ubasnoz

Ubasnoz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:35 PM

I was playing games on my computer and all of a sudden it shut off and beeped a bunch of times. I soon realized that my CPU was overheating from around 40 degrees celsius to 80 anytime I would play a game. After finding this out I took off the fan part that helps keep the processor cool and seen that almost all the thermal paste was burnt off the processor and fan part and that there was dust caked in the fan.

I got a compressed air can and blew all the dust off the part and put more thermal paste on and attached the fan part to the processor again. I then turned on the computer again and it took forever to load to the desktop and even when it got to the desktop it took forever to load anything, and when I say forever I mean like 1 minute to highlight a shortcut on the desktop.

I restarted the computer and now it doesn't even load the desktop. The computer loads to the point where it says "Starting Windows" And then freezes then restarts over and over again.

I am completely confused about what the problem is and I would love it if I got any kind of help, because I have had none.

Thank you 

Ubasnoz

Edited by hamluis, 17 May 2014 - 10:32 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kunalthechamp

kunalthechamp

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 02:58 AM

Can you hear the fan moving when the computer heats up or starts up? If not the connection might be loose. If you do hear it moving, try an external fan to cool your desktop.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Ubasnoz

Ubasnoz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:02 PM

The fan is fine. It's the computer that keeps restarting that is the problem. I believe I eliminated the heat problem.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:58 PM

It is possible that you have caused permanent damage to the CPU with this overheating. What sort of processor do you have? 80C is beyond the limit for some, and getting close to it for many others. If you google for your CPU specs you should find what is the maximum temperature it can take.

The problem is that I only know one way to check if your CPU is permanently damaged, and that is to try another one in the computer. Since this would probably mean you buying another CPU, this makes it an expensive test !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users