Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ACCESS Denied to CD Rom - No permissions set - corrupted reg files

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 GrandmaGoo2

GrandmaGoo2

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:54 PM

I have the dreaded "access denied error in Win 7 Pro and cannot access my cd rom or thumbdrive to use my ISO image to repair my operating system.  I found a registry fix that might address my issue but it seems my registry is missing the keys the fix describes
I faced the same problem , what i did was:(Windows 7)
Ran Regedit and navigated to HKU\z\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Right clicked, then click new, then create a new key. Then rename it to Properties. In Properties create two new dwords

DeviceType Type:reg_dword Value:00000002
DeviceCharacteristics Type:reg_dword Value:00000100
Then Uninstall the driver of cd/dvd from Device manager.

Scan for New Hardware. Boom!! Problem Solved." end quote

I don't have a "Control" or "Class or {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 entry under Current Control Set for my user or default user under HKU. I don't know if this is a good fix or not., I don't know what to do next. I couldn't use a system disk if I had one because I can't use my CD ROM.  I can't use the ISO on my thumb drive because I have the same issue on those drives as well.  My CD rom, etc. do not list any permissions and the system cannot access them,my system won't allow me to change the permissions either, even with elevated command prompt, etc.  Anybody have an idea how to fix this?  I don't have a restore point that fixes this.  Is there a Win 7 Pro user who can tell me what should be in my registry files to view the permissions on my CD ROM and other external drives?  Can I manually enter the needed keys to re-establish access to the CD Rom or thumb drive so I can try the in place upgrade repair?  SFC /scannow said it couldn't fix this and I need to figure something out.  My computer is a Dell PC running Win 7 Professional (and, no I do not want to downgrade to Win 7 home premium on my PC as it has a business program that requires Pro version).  Hope someone out there can help me, I have had this issue for several months, but because this PC is hooked up to my TV, I didn't want to lose access, but now I am ready to suffer no TV to fix it!!!

Thanks,

J

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:03 AM

Welcome,

Have you run any scans to confirm that the system is clean?

This one

http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

runs on line so you don't need a CD or a USB

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,659 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:29 AM

The subkey {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} is not located in HCU. The poster mounted it to HCU so the registry could be edited offline. The location is here.

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

#4 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 02:48 PM

After youv virus scanned,you could run the file checker.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

Reinstall the driver (Disk management, right click on the CD/DVD drive,open Properties, click on the Hardware tab, click the properties command button, click on the driver tab, and uninstall the driver.

Then click on the Disk Management Action menu, click on Rescan Disks, it,ll re-add the drive.

Download and install Tweaking.com Windows all in one repair tool,follow the instructions carefully to make registry backup and restore point and check the box to fix cd,dvd drive.

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

Edited by Wolverine 7, 17 May 2014 - 03:10 PM.

#5 GrandmaGoo2

GrandmaGoo2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:11 PM

Thanks for your responses!  I ran ESET and it found nothing.  I then ran SFC and got this error:  "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.  Details in CBS.LOG. The log is too big to attach here.  Is there somewhere else on the site to post the CBS Log?

I looked at the program @ Tweaked.com recommended here, it sounds great but I did n't run it because of the OS corruption errors.  I tried the CD ROM reg edit fix but I still can't access the drive.

I also noticed that I cannot change the Active Scripting notification to stop the annoying pop up box - In the Internet Security Zone Scripting, the check box for Active Scripting is set at Prompt and the Enable and Disable choices are grayed.

I only have an ISO image of the PC's Operating System (Win 7 Professional) from digital river - is there some way to figure out what files are corrupted manually from the CBS log?  My laptop is Win 7 Home Premium, could I patch anything temporarily from that to gain access to the external drives so I can do the repair?.  Thanks in advance!

#6 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:41 PM

Hello you could try this provided by dc3 post #4

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/534508/blank-boot-screen-and-bsods-after-launch/?hl=%2Bdigital+%2Briver#entry3370598

#7 GrandmaGoo2

GrandmaGoo2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:21 PM

Hi, thanks for the tips.  I tried to do a repair install using an ISO of my OS (17-mounted on a virutual drive, but once I mounted to ISO, the option for Repair was missing from the installation screen.  When I tried to open the drive I got an access denied error on it too!  I found a couple of web posts that
"said" their solutions would fix the access denied errors by correcting the permissions, but of course, they did not work either.  Next I am trying the Tweaking.com program recommended here.  (Thanks!) I have completed the Chkdisk which did find and fix something I think and I am just finishing another SFC scan following the Tweaking.com site's' instructions.  I hope this will work!  

Anyone know why the ISO from digital river didn't have the option to update/repair?  I was following a web post that had screen shots of what it was supposed to look like.but mine didn't match theirs and I didn't want to do a full re-install just yet!    

Thanks for all your help!

J

#8 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:14 AM

Anyone know why the ISO from digital river didn't have the option to update/repair?

Its possible you got a corrupted iso?since you used virtual drive,a bad burn or scratched cd isnt it.you could try downloading again,start from scratch,maybe try installing from usb.

Have you run any diagnostics on the hardrive to make sure thats ok?

#9 GrandmaGoo2

GrandmaGoo2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 02:17 AM

I ran the Tweaking.com program, but it messed up my services and I wasn't able to go online as it had removed my network adapter and turned off needed services. I fixed it am am back online, but it didn't fix my access issues.

Today I got errors from Win update failing but was able to fix with troubleshooter.  Then I uninstalled all my drives again  (except the main HD) and rescanned hardware.  I now have access to the dvd and virtual dvd (yeah!) but still get Access denied on the other drives (Compact flash, sd/mmc, Ms/MS PRO,SMxD picture usb) but at least there was progress, so maybe Tweaking.com did help some. 

I was able to find this link about access to drives when Acronis is installed 1st which I have.  Someething about Acronis changing the upper filters Partmgr and Snapman corrupted, so that might help some of my issues. So I am going to try uninstalling Acronis and try the repair update with a fresh Iso.  Here is the link about Acronis  http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=410&.  I'll let you know if that does the trick.  I am going to do a new Sfc /scannow before the reinstall to see if that is any better.  Thanks!

j

#10 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:14 PM

Let us know how it goes,ive just been playing around with this cos i needed to make a usb installer for this netbook,

Quite simple and works fine.From what i can see id advise installing from usb,very quik,about 7 minutes from insertion to basic system up.

Get a fresh iso,copy to usb,the microsoft downoader worked for me,boot and install with it.Doing things virtual for install stuff

looks unstable to me from what i can see.(Far more system resources used and glitch prone)?

Good luck.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users