Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nvidia 8800 gtx graphics card issues.... I think.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pmdaniels73

pmdaniels73

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:21 PM

I have been trying to figure this out for 3 days. I will try to explain the best I can. I have a Dell XPS 720. It has 2 nvadia gtx 8800 graphics cards. Each card has 2 ports. So there are 4 ports total. If I am not able to get an image out of 1 of the ports on 1 card and another port on the other card. 1 port on one of the cards produces an image but there are lines and dashes all over the screen. If I unplug from this port and plug into another port after the computer is already running the image is perfect. However if I restart the computer the port that has the perfect image no longer works. I have to plug back into the port that produces the image with the lines and dashes all over the screen. Wait for a minute or two then unplug from that port and plug back into the port that produces a good image.

Sorry if I am not clear on this but I have never seen anything like this and is kind of hard to explain. Any help out there is more than greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:26 AM

Setting up SLI can be tricky. Are you using a tutorial? If not, google "setting up SLI video cards" for guidance.

#3 pmdaniels73

pmdaniels73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:33 AM

Thanks. I will look this up. Would this also cause the garbled graphics on the screen?

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:43 AM

I an unsure. I have never done an SLI setup... but I believe there is a procedure where you have to synchronize the video cards, and until that happens video artifacts would be quite possible IMO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users