Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash drive audio quit working.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 harkcomp

harkcomp

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:30 PM

I have an older Dell Dimension 4700 computer that presently is running Windows XP Professional. 

This computer did not have a sound card in it when I received it so I installed a flash drive sound stick and it has been working fine with my old beastly large 18" CRT monitor with seperate twin speakers. The sound was not that great, but it worked good enough to satisfy my very ocassional need for sound. 

I just recently got rid of the CRT beast and hooked up a much nicer 19" Planar PX1910M flat screen monitor that my brother gave me.  The Planar unit has integrated speakers built into the base of the monitor. I connected the sound cable to the monitor and plugged it into my USB sound stick. 

I turned on the computer and switched on the monitor. I noticed the flash drive sound stick was illuminated and I did hear an audio signal tone indicating that the computer had booted up. 

The monitor worked beautifully and I spent some time just browsing screens and admiring the wonderful graphics this monitor has compared to my old CRT monitor. 

However, when I came to a U-tube video that I wanted to view I noticed that I had no sound at all. I went to the back of the computer to check connections and I noticed the flash drive sound stick was no longer illuminated. I then shut down the entire system...removed and reinstalled the sound stick....rebooted the system and again the sound stick was illuminated....the boot up tone sound was again heard; but then whent I went to view and listen to the U-tube video, again, I had no audio and the sound stick was again no longer illuminated. 

I'm wondering why it is that this USB sound stick worked fine with my old monitor and seperate dual speakers but will not work at all with my much newer flat screen with integrated speakers. 

Any thoughts?????

Thanks!

Harkcomp

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:10 PM

Are you sure the Dell did not come with a soundcard. Every Dell I have come across has a integrated sound chip with the speaker port on the back of the computer. The 4700 support site even shows a sound driver for the integrated sound chip. There isn't a lime green jack socket on the back of the computer?

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:23 AM

It may be that the defauft sound device has to be selected in the advanced Sound settings. There should be an option to test the sound afterwards, be sure to click "Apply" when the correct device is working.

Too, you should make sure that your Audio driver is installed, do this first, the driver is in the list below for your model. This may be all that's needed.

http://downloads.dell.com/Pages/Drivers/dimension-4700.html

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users