Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Laptop stuck on "Preparing Automatic Repair" loop

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Star_Slight

Star_Slight

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:53 PM

Hello. So I was upgrading the RAM on my Acer Aspire One 725 (from 2GB to 4GB) and after doing this I booted the laptop up as normal and it displayed a message saying "preparing automatic repair" with little spinning circles and it just gets stuck on that and will NOT boot up Windows. I've tried leaving it on overnight and for long periods of time to see if it makes any progress but no luck there.

I've tried acesssing the recovery options with ALT+F10 but I can't seem to get onto that either, any ideas there? Once again, it's an Acer.

Does anyone know what this problem is and how I can go about resolving it? I'd prefer to not lose all my data of course...

I'm running Windows 8.1

Thanks in advance.

Edited by AstronautAbort, 16 May 2014 - 05:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:04 PM

Have you tried removing the new RAM?  If that doesn't do it for you I'd recommend reseating all of the RAM.

#3 Star_Slight

Star_Slight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:37 PM

Have you tried removing the new RAM?  If that doesn't do it for you I'd recommend reseating all of the RAM.

Yes i've tried removing the new RAM and putting the original back in. There is only one RAM slot and i'm pretty sure it's in there correctly.

Edited by AstronautAbort, 16 May 2014 - 01:37 PM.

#4 Star_Slight

Star_Slight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:08 AM

*BUMP*  Anyone?

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:38 PM

Hi

Since putting back old RAM didn't help, i would recommend running hard drive diagnostic. But your model seems to be a "Netbook" which don't have disc drives. So unfortunately we won't able to run DOS based manufacturer's diagnostic tools..

Please follow the below steps ( requires another working machine ).

1. Download "Parted Magic" disc image from http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/parted_magic.html

2. Follow instructions from the below link and create a bootable USB drive with "Parted Magic".

http://partedmagic.com/creating-the-liveusb/

3. Plug the USB to your system and boot from it. After successfully booting in to the "Desktop", open "Disk Health" and navigate to the "Perform Tests" tab. Select "Extended Self Test" and press "Execute" button. This may take a while to complete depending on the disk size.

gsmartcontrol-2.png

4. After the test completed, navigate to the "Attributes" tab and press the "Save As" button. Your drive's SMART attributes will be saved in a text file. Please attach the file via "More Reply Options --> Attach files" with next reply.

gsmartcontrol-3.png

You can also copy all your data to an external drive using the "File Manager".

I assume "Windows 8" came pre-installed in your machine. Is it originally came with "8.1" or "8.0" ?.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 17 May 2014 - 12:42 PM.

#6 Star_Slight

Star_Slight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:14 AM

Thanks for your reply Andshad, i will work on that later and let you know how i get on.

I do have a usb disc drive that i can plug into the Acer laptop if that makes any difference?

And yes Windows 8 (8.0) came pre-installed, i had to update it to 8.1.

Edited by AstronautAbort, 18 May 2014 - 08:15 AM.

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:10 AM

I do have a usb disc drive that i can plug into the Acer laptop if that makes any difference?

That will came handy but not needed now. But you can burn "Parted Magic" to a blank CD and use it instead of creating DVD.

#8 Star_Slight

Star_Slight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:48 PM

So i've done the first 2 steps but I'm having trouble booting from the USB as i cannot get into the boot options on the Acer Laptop, it just stays on that screen and won't go any further.

Any ideas?

Edited by AstronautAbort, 20 May 2014 - 04:56 PM.

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:52 PM

Hi

I checked the product manual of your model but it doesn't seems to contain any info about BIOS settings. Acer may detect USB flash drive as USB HDD so first try setting USB HDD as the first boot device. 

If that don't help, try disabling UEFI mode and enabling "Leagcy" support.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27045/~/changing-bios-mode-from-uefi-to-legacy

#10 Star_Slight

Star_Slight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:37 PM

This doesn't help as none of the function keys work when booting the laptop, it just stays on the same screen saying "Preparing automatic repair".....

#11 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:22 PM

Hi

Can you enter the BIOS setup by pressing F2 ( usually Acer uses F2 to access BIOS ) during powering on ?. If not, please try Fn + F2 key combination.

1000he-kb_inline.jpg

Once successfully entered in to the BIOS setup, set USB  HDD/your flash drive as the first boot device and save the setting.

#12 Star_Slight

Star_Slight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:31 AM

I tired the F2 key and that did indeed work and bought up the BIOS setup. Thanks

However i seemed to have encountered a new problem now....

I took out the hard drive to see whether it was an IDE/SATA type (as i'm looking a getting a hard drive caddy) and now when i turn the laptop on it's just a blank screen and only the lights are on. Surely taking the hard drive out and putting it back in wouldn't cause this?

Edited by AstronautAbort, 27 May 2014 - 05:33 AM.

#13 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:09 PM

Surely taking the hard drive out and putting it back in wouldn't cause this?

May be one or more RAM stick may got loose from it's slot when you removed the HDD. Try re-seating them them. 

There is also a chance for electrostatic damage. Disassembling a laptop/desktop should be performed with extreme caution as static electricity in our body can cause damage to the components. Wearing a wrist strap or touching a conductive surface before handling is highly recommended.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/sb/8000-sb001_-en-p.pdf

Let us hope that it is just a contact issue. 

#14 Star_Slight

Star_Slight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:12 PM

This doesn't look promising,,.

I've tried connecting the laptop to a monitor to get the display up > no luck, just a blank screen. I've also taken the hard drive out too and put it in a caddy and it's not recognised at all so it seems the HDD has gone too, along with who knows what else....

Edited by AstronautAbort, 30 May 2014 - 03:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users