Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wifi installed but can't log online to finish the process

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jpandkp

jpandkp

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:22 AM

Hi,

I bought a new wifi because I thought the old one was fried. The old one I had was a linksys cisco and it would not let me log onto the smart connect. So I bought a new wifi which is a netgear connected it up, the main computer had internet connection but again this one would not log onto thier genie.

So I call netgear and they tell me I have a bunch of things wrong and they want to sell me something. Of course I don't want to buy anything else especially at the prices they were quoting me.

So with the tutorials between bleeping computer and tweaking.com. I begin to clean up my computer. I sitll can't get the online connection (meaning Netgear has you go to routerlogin com or .net this gets rerouted or an error page).

Please I don't know what else to do to get my wifi up and running can you help? ty

My computer is a Dell inspiron 530

window edition vista home premium service pack 2 32bit

I am hooked up by cable

Thank you ever so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:16 PM

If I'm not mistaken that computer comes with an optional PCI wifi adapter, did you install it?

Edited by dc3, 16 May 2014 - 02:20 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jpandkp

jpandkp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:37 PM

I don't know....The wifi's I had previous worked just fine. This is a recent problem that has come out of nowhere.

Where would I look to see if it is still there?

Thank you

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:30 PM

You can find out what to look for by seeing the different types of PCI cards and USB adapters here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 jpandkp

jpandkp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:32 PM

I did need one of those for the old linksys but not the latest one. The last linksys that I bought I hooked up and it worked on all the phones, tablets, laptops and computer, all I had to do is put in the password and then go to the smart connect. But after a little over a year it just meraculously stopped.

The problem I am having is not being able to put the ip address in and it taking me to the router log in.

thank you

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:20 AM

Let's see... the foot bone is attached to the ankle bone, the ankle bone is connected to the leg bone...

Starting at the computer, you need a wifi adapter if you are not going to connect to via Ethernet.  Most desktop computers do not come with an adapter installed.

The adapter makes it possible for the computer to communicate with the router which in turn communicates with the modem which connects you with your ISP allowing to to go online.

So... you will need a wifi adapter, either a card which is plugged into a PCI slot on the motherboard, or an adapter which plugs into a USB port.

Edited by dc3, 17 May 2014 - 09:23 AM.

#7 jpandkp

jpandkp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:44 AM

I believe I am connected by a ethernet. Here is my setup from the wall.....cable line comes in cable company installed a spliter since I have a phone also. from the spliter  I have a modem for the phone connected by ethernet to the computer. The other spliter is connected to the internet modem. From the internet modem it is connected to the wifi.

Is this a wrong connection? It seemed to work before.

ty

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:51 AM

Let me see if I have this correctly.

You are not using a router.

You are connecting directly from the computer to the modem via Ethernet cable.

Correct?

#9 jpandkp

jpandkp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:01 AM

that is correct

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users