Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printing has become the cause of prolonged mental suffering

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 KCav

KCav

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:06 AM

The latest incident in a series of events happened when I failed to securely fasten an old, old printer’s parallel cable.    The reason I was connecting an old printer was the two newer printers no longer work.  All is not bleak I do have a wireless laser printer that prints rapidly,  can be easily be returned to the original state after a paper jam, but it only prints black ink.   My experience using color printers is a gruesome story involving unruliness and high-priced printer ink.

I would like to find a color printer that pleases me, at least to some degree, when I use it to perform tasks I do repetitively such as make small booklets of my poetry.  This requires that I print four pages with colored pictures on double sided paper in Landscape mode.   At first I used an inkjet printer.   The printer was equipped with a sensor that reported ink level.  The sensor became inaccurate.  Finally after installing new cartridges it reported, “Empty “.  So I decided to change from inkjet to a color laser printer.  

The color laser printer would not allow Landscape mode documents to be printed automatically,  I had to use manual feed.  The feed was sensitive and it frequently said “Paper Jam” I had to remove the paper, press “Reset” and try again.  

I find the cost of color cartridges on my laser printer to be unimaginably extravagant.  The cost of replacing the four color ink cartridges exceeds the cost of the printer.  I can buy a new printer for less than replacing the ink cartridges.  I felt the cost of ink for my inkjet printer exceeded reasonable cost. What should a poor boy do? 

Can someone help me:

1. Determine the software that reports ink level and remove it? 
  2. Learn how to clean the connection point between the ink cartridge holder and the ink cartridges? 
  3. Estimate consumption of color ink for printing a specific number of pages? 
  4. Make a cost/benefit comparison for printer ink

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:40 AM

You can research.  I have an HP LaserJet Pro 400 M475dn MFP.  I got a great deal on it.  While the replacement toner cartridges are close to the cost of the printer they are also good for 1,400 page.  Considering the number of pages that the average ink cartridge prints the cost is either comparable or better.  This printer replaced a Dell 3100cn printer that had cartridges that were good for 4,000 pages.  In the over five years I owned that printer I never replaced the toner and the black was giving a low toner message for the last year I had it.

Frequently printers will come with starter cartridges that have a lower capacity than the refills, that is why they don't seem to last as long and why you can get a new printer for the cost of replacement cartridges.

The color printer should allow you to print landscape from the tray, it is most likely a configuration issue.

1.  Need to know the make and model of the printers in question to give any indicator of what software may be monitoring the ink levels.  It is possible it is part of the driver an you will not be able to remove.

2.  The printer manual may have cleaning information.

3.  If you can determine the number of pages that you get from a cartridge, a lot of manufacturers will give you the average page yield and then divide by the cost of the cartridge(s).  Actual cost will vary by use.

4.  I'm not clear of what you are asking about cost benefit for ink.  If you're talking manufacturer/refill I'm in the purchase from the manufacturer group.  I worked with a company that used refills to save money and printer repair costs sky rocketed due to leaky cartridges.

#3 KCav

KCav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:46 PM

Thank you for replying to my post.   I'm off to get information, will be back soon.

Again thank you Bkilroy for your thoughtful reply.

Ken

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:26 PM

Estimate consumption of color ink for printing a specific number of pages?

There really is no good answer to this questions. That is because it will depend on what you are printing. Even if you compare printing one photo to another, the amount of ink (and which color of ink) will vary. The printer manufacturer will give you an approximate number of pages, but the key word there is approximate. What you actually get will vary greatly based upon what you are printing (and the printer manufacturer likely has some microscopic disclaimer somewhere to that effect).

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:06 PM

Also color laser printers that can print quality high resolution photographs are Very expensive.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:17 PM

Inkjet is the best way to go for color, some all in one units with high resolution scanners (4800 DPI) and matching photo quality printer for around $100.  I refill the ink cartridges and keep fresh sealed ones for photos.  Will print any way you want.  Use Windows hardware popup find the software drivers on the internet and all the crapware and un-needed junk the mfgr wants to  install when doing it from the provided disks.

#7 KCav

KCav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:49 PM

In response to my question about how to uninstall software that monitors the ink level Kiroy said,"Need to know the make and model of the printers in question to give any indicator of what software may be monitoring the ink levels."

I have four color printers on which I would like to remove software that monitors the ink level.

·        Brother, HL-3170CDW, Color Wireless Laser Printer

·        Dell, 3000CN, 3000CN,  Laser Printer

·        Lexmark, Z1300, Color Inkjet Printer

·        HP, C6380, PhotSmart All-In-One

#8 KCav

KCav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:53 PM

In reply to my statement that the printer cost less than replacing  the ink cartridges Kilroy said, "Frequently printers will come with starter cartridges that have a lower capacity than the refills, that is why they don't seem to last as long and why you can get a new printer for the cost of replacement cartridges."  Here is what I found out about the cost of replacing the ink cartridges on my Brother, HL-3170CDW Color, Wireless, Laser printer that cost  $230.

Ink  Cartridge

TN225C

High Yield Cyan Toner

2200 pages

TN225M

High Yield Magenta Toner 

2200 pages

TN225Y

High Yield Yellow Toner 

2200 pages

TN221BK

High Yield Black Toner

2500 pages

DR221CL

Drum Unit Set

15,000 pages

Illustrative Job - 4 x 6" booklet

• 3 pages
  • double sided print
  • 4 pictures

Cost of high yield cartridges (22000 pages) + drum

• 2200/3=733 booklets
  • Cost of CMYB cartridges = (77.29 x 3) + 63.00 = 295.00 
  • Drum cost $145
  • total cost 295.00 + 145.00 = 440.00
  • Cost per booklet 440.00/733 = .60

What should a poor boy do?   The yield from standard cartridges is 14,000 pages or 37% less than the high yield cartridges.   Should I spend $440.00 for 733 booklets or buy a new printer for $230.00 and get 460 booklets.

#9 KCav

KCav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:04 AM

SMAX013 said, "What you actually get will depend upon what you are printing. "  I agree.  How should I track the yield for two specific jobs I would like to do repetitively.  The content on these jobs will frequently change  but the format will remain constant.  Is there a simple way to log the level of ink in the ink cartridges before and after performing a print operation?

#10 KCav

KCav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:41 AM

Also color laser printers that can print quality high resolution photographs are Very expensive.

Inkjet is the best way to go for color,

I have a Lexmark, Z1300 inkjet printer and HP, C6380 Photosmart multipurpose machine that includes inkjet printing.  I like the print jobs on these printers better than on my laser printers. Color printing done on an inkjet printers seems softer, deeper, more vivid,  I don't know how to describe the difference but I like it.  However, the quality of color print  on my laser printers is good too,  and for what I'm doing the difference doesn't matter

A High yield color ink cartridge for the Z1300 costs $42 and yields 500 pages. That is approximately a 10,000% markup based on cost of material. Why hasn't competitive pressure affected the cost of printer ink?

#11 KCav

KCav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:53 AM

I refill the ink cartridges and keep fresh sealed ones for photos. 

Use Windows hardware popup find the software drivers on the internet and all the crapware and un-needed junk the mfgr wants to  install when doing it from the provided disks.

Could you tell me step-by-step how you refill an ink cartridge?

Where do I find drivers for HP-6380CN and Dell 3000CN. Whenever I download free stuff I seem to get un-needed junk.  All I want initially are the drivers.  I want to connect the printers to my LAN so everyone on the LAN can use them.

#12 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:41 AM

Don't load the drivers from the disk.  Connect the unit by the USB and when you turn it on, the Windows popup for "New hardware found" should appear.  Let Windows find the appropriate dribers needed off the internet.  That usually eliminates the annoying "ink level alert" .  Refilling cartridges is often experimental on the first few.  Filling holes are usually hidden under labels.  I've found that frequent refills, before they show signs of low levels, prevents drying of the ink in the nozzles.  Cleaning is the most important part, swabbing out the home position and the ink collector cup beneath will help keep the printhead face clean.  The other big variable in print quality is in the grade of media used (paper). 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users