Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple monitor assistance

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:00 AM

I ordered Three HP W2371d 23-inch LED LCD Monitors.  I will be mounting them on Ergotech Group100-D16-B03 Hex Stand.

I have an ASUS GTX670-DC2-2GD5 GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 video card.  I ordered two HDMI to DVI Adapter Cables.

I currently have a 24" Asus monitor, sorry don't have the model or a link.

What I would like to do is run World of Warcraft (WoW) on the three screens and watch a movie on the fourth.

Layout will be [MOVIE]-[WoW][WoW][WoW]

1.  Will my video card power four monitors doing the above?

2.  How do I have WoW on three screens and run the movie on the fourth?

Any suggestions and or helpful comments welcome.

Edited by RKilroy, 16 May 2014 - 09:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:39 PM

so it should be possible, you are going to need at least one (probably two) adapters in order to do it, from what I can see you just need to connect the 3 up, set them up with the nvidia software (control panel/geforce experience) then connect the 4th after that, and again set it up in the nvidia software.

The only problems I can see are:

You may need "active" adapters for the HDMI to DVI, at least one most likely.

The details are a little wishy washy but there is a chance that you can only use the Nvidia surround system with 3D capable monitors.

To answer your second question, you would start the movie first, then run the game, as long as the 3 monitors are your primary monitors WOW should open on those, then you would update the resolution to 5760X1080

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:10 PM

You may need "active" adapters for the HDMI to DVI, at least one most likely.

There should be no need for an "active" adapter to my knowledge. Should only need an HDCP complaint HMDI to DVI cable (or adapter) for the third monitor…and then then a DisplayPort adapter for the fourth (i.e. Asus monitor). The only potential key thing to make sure of if that the Asus monitor is using an HDCP compliant connection to the video card since I assume it will be playing the movie (this assumes the movie requires HDCP…may not).

The only potential issue I could see is if WoW is graphically intensive (I don't play it, so I honestly don't know how graphically intensive of a game it is). That could be the weak point. If it is graphically intensive enough of a game, then one graphics card driving three 1920x1080 monitors for playing the game PLUS a fourth monitor playing a movie might overwhelm it.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:47 PM

HDCP won't be an issue.  I back up my DVDs and Blurays to hard disk using Slysoft's AnyDVDHD.  I guess the issue is can I run WoW at 5760x1080 (1920x3 by 1080 high) with an additonal monitor running at 1920x1080.  I know that I will have to run WoW windowed.  Currently I have a DoubleSight 9" USB monitor to watch movies while I play WoW.

Looked at the card specs again and it has two DVI, one HDMI, and one Display port.  I'll have to get a Display port to DVI cable.  Thought it had two HDMIs, my fault for not paying more attention.

I guess an area of concern is the maximum resolusion for the video card is 2560 x 1600 (DL-DVI).  However I believe that is for a single monitor.

Well, guess I'll find out next week when it all gets here.  If it doesn't work, it wouldn't be the first time one purchase caused a spending spree to get everything working the way I wanted.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:57 PM

HDCP won't be an issue.  I back up my DVDs and Blurays to hard disk using Slysoft's AnyDVDHD.  I guess the issue is can I run WoW at 5760x1080 (1920x3 by 1080 high) with an additonal monitor running at 1920x1080.  I know that I will have to run WoW windowed.  Currently I have a DoubleSight 9" USB monitor to watch movies while I play WoW.

It is certainly possible that it will work. When I looked up WoW system requirements, they were not that steep. They essentially recommend a 8800GT…a card that is several years old. So, it may work…just cannot say until you try.

Looked at the card specs again and it has two DVI, one HDMI, and one Display port.  I'll have to get a Display port to DVI cable.  Thought it had two HDMIs, my fault for not paying more attention.

Easy to confuse the two as they look alike.

I guess an area of concern is the maximum resolusion for the video card is 2560 x 1600 (DL-DVI).  However I believe that is for a single monitor.

Yes, that is the resolution for just one of the Dual Link DVI ports. If that was the max resolution for all screens combined on your much newer (and more powerful card), then they would be no way that my 8800GT could drive the two 1920x1200 monitors that I have connected to it…yet it does!   :wink: 

Well, guess I'll find out next week when it all gets here.  If it doesn't work, it wouldn't be the first time one purchase caused a spending spree to get everything working the way I wanted.

Buying new toys does tend to lead to buying more and more new toys! Yeah!   :grinner:

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:41 AM

Got this link from another forum I frequent.  It is a nice web page that will let you know what your nVidia card is capable of doing.  Mine should do three screens in 2d surround with one Accessory Display.  Now the questions are what will my FPS be and will I run the monitors in landscape or portrait?

The stand should come in today, I don't know when I will receive the monitors from HP.  If they aren't here by Wednesday it will be a week and a half before I can post the results.

Edited by Kilroy, 19 May 2014 - 09:42 AM.

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:55 AM

Any updates yet? Curiosity is getting the better of me.

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:46 PM

Sorry, wife had to have her appendix removed, monitors came in and then I left on vacation. I did have a chance to set them up. Had to go with just three as there really isn't room for four. WoW isn't multi monitor friendly. Will update that part when I return. You can make WoW go on all three screens, but it has to be a non-maximized window.

Any spelling errors are due to the iPad.

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 05:36 PM

Well, had a hectic couple of weeks, wife had her appendix removed and then we went to Mexico for a wedding and vacation, so it has been a while for an update.

First off, the monitors and stand went together wonderful.  I highly recommend the stand for anyone looking for a three monitor stand for 24" monitors.  I had to scrap the idea of four monitors as there really just isn't the room as three fill your full field of vision.

Secondly, I really wish someone would have told me how unfriendly WoW is with multiple monitors.  I did two monitors years ago and scrapped it quickly since your toon is always in the middle of the two screens.  WoW defaults the maximum resolution to the size of your primary screen.  So, you have to use work arounds to get it to go to all three screens.  The easiest way I found was to use a macro to change between resolutions.

/script if (GetCVar("gxWindow") =="1") then SetCVar("gxWindow","0"); SetCVar("gxResolution","1920x1080"); else SetCVar("gxMaximize","0"); SetCVar("gxWindow","1"); SetCVar("gxResolution","1920x360"); end; RestartGx();

The 1920x1080 is the resolution of one monitor.  The 1920x360 is the horizontal resolution and 1/3 of the vertical resolution.  This results in a long Window that when expanded across three the three monitors that is proportional.  The easiest way to expand to the three monitors is to use UltraMon's Maximize window to desktop function.

I have taken to playing WoW on the center screen, watching a movie or television program on the right screen, and having a web browser/screen shot/notepad running.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users