Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I get rid of every last trace?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:00 AM

Hi, I botched the installation of the Iron Front wargame, so uninstalled it to try again, but I think I botched the un-install too, possibly by dragging the whole prog into the Recycle bin by accident instead of going through the proper uninstall procedure.

So now after installing it again, it won't run, it keeps locking up every few seconds. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling several more times but still no joy.

A clue is that when I re-install, a message comes up "Game already installed", even though I uninstalled it.

So it seems there are some traces of the game still lurking on my system which are messing things up.

How can I find and delete those traces? I've run system seaches under 'Iron Front' but they've come up blank, so I presume the traces are deeply rooted and invisible? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:18 AM

Have you tried THIS  ?

OR

Uninstall with REVO

Follow this topic    ..... Click on this to follow to follow your topic and get emails when a reply is sent to you

Edited by Condobloke, 16 May 2014 - 04:22 AM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:44 AM

You have orphaned Registry entries that are causing the "program already installed" alert. Follow Condobloke's advice and uninstall the game properly... then it should let you re-install it. 

#4 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:34 AM

Hello! I use Revo also. I go a bit further and use a program called Search Everything. Revo is good, but it leaves a few things behind.

Search Everything will find the left overs. It is very easy to use.

http://www.voidtools.com/

http://www.voidtools.com/faq.htm

#5 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:27 AM

Thanks guys, Revo got rid of a dozen bits of invisible junk, but although the game now plays much better, it's still seriousl jerky.

So I'd like to hit it with Search Everything from-

http://www.voidtools.com/download.htm

But am not sure which one to select, is it the top one in this list? (I'm Win7)-

zblo.jpg

----------------------------------------------------

Also shall I leave the default boxes like this below?
(I'm not sure i want it to run at startup, and what's that about Shell context?)-

ewogo.jpg

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 19 May 2014 - 07:30 AM.

#6 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:27 AM

Hello ! Yes the top one is the one you want. I don't you want it to run on start up, Not sure what Shell context is. If you don't have the run on start up checked, it will just take longer to load, but not that big of a deal. It's a great program. Let me know what you think of it.

http://www.voidtools.com/faq.htm

Edited by donetao, 19 May 2014 - 10:29 AM.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:36 AM

OR you could download it from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/search/?keyword=everything

It's listed twice. Pick one. They are both the same.

I've used Everything for years. Like Donetao, after uninstalling a program with Revo I use Everything to find any leftovers so I can delete them.

For deletion, you can either right click the entry and click Delete OR highlight the entry, right click and choose Open Path. This will open the location of the folder, for example Programs. You can delete the folder from that location.

DONETAO, if you are inclined to do this click the DOWNLOADS tab on a forum page. Look through the downloads and see what can downloaded from BC. You can then link to the BC download for a program if we have it.

There is also a search box if you know there is a download for a program but don't want to go through the pages looking for it.

In addition, there are category listings. If you want to see if a particular security program is available here, click Security. You can then refine it by sub-category.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 19 May 2014 - 10:44 AM.

#8 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:43 AM

Hello my bad, I never thought about checking BC for Search Everything. That's the place to down load it.

Thanks Queen-Evie. Also good information. It's a great program to have.

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:45 AM

You are so welcome Donetao.

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:08 PM

Mick....the "Shell Context" simply puts the ability to access 'everything' into the right click menu....Right click on the recycle bin icon on your desktop and you will see "Search Everything"...click on it and you have a means of searching the entire drive quickly and accurately.

Nifty little program....unobtrusive.....yes, leave the default boxes as they are.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#11 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:44 PM

Thanks guys, we seem to have cracked it touch wood, I hit it with the double whammy of Revo and Search Everything, and also fiddled with compatibility settings for good measure and it ran up the white flag..:) 

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2014 - 04:07 PM

Always a pleasure, Mick

Regards,

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users