Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad Hard Drive. Options?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Enmotion2010

Enmotion2010

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:22 AM

Hello, Many thanks to all those who work here on these forums.

I have a live post on another forums (another site)  pertaining to Virus removal.  It has not been asnswered as of this post.  I do not feel my problem is Virus in nature and do not have a problem with closing that post.

My computer restarts shortly after starting up certain games. Below are the things I have done and the different discrepencies found beteen different tools, windows CHKDSK, and Event log.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 6134 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 476837 MB, Free - 338835 MB; E: Total - 1430796 MB, Free - 621752 MB; F: Total - 476936 MB, Free - 476798 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P6T
Antivirus: Bitdefender Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

Ran memtest86 all tests 1 pass....  All pass

HARD DRIVE

Ran a tool CrystalDiskInfo

Model : WDC WD5000AAKS-00V1A0

Transfer Mode : SATA/300
  Power On Hours : 18535 hours
  Power On Count : 3177 count
     Temparature : 34 C (93 F)
   Health Status : Caution
        Features : S.M.A.R.T., AAM, 48bit LBA, NCQ

C5 200 200 __0 000000000007 Current Pending Sector Count
C6 200 200 __0 000000000001 Uncorrectable Sector Count

7 pending sectors and 1 Uncorrectable sector.

Ran Western Digitals Data LifeGuard

It reports SMARTstatus pass on all drives but...

Test Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number: WDC WD5000AAKS-00V1A0
Unit Serial Number: WD-WCAWF2095270
Firmware Number: 05.01D05
Capacity: 500.11 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 06-Quick Test on drive 1 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 97 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 1!
Test Time: 23:57:18, May 15, 2014

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
Model Number: WDC WD5000AAKS-00V1A0
Unit Serial Number: WD-WCAWF2095270
Firmware Number: 05.01D05
Capacity: 500.11 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 08-Unable to repair bad sectors.
Test Time: 01:24:37, May 16, 2014

ERROR CODE 08  read element failed

a poster somewhere said "That would probably mean the part of the internal SMART test which supposed to test reading ability failed
It usually means that the drive has bad blocks
I would worry"

CHKDSK

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.                         

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
  356096 file records processed.                                         File verification completed.
  1070 large file records processed.                                     0 bad file records processed.                                       0 EA records processed.                                             61 reparse records processed.                                      CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
  445630 index entries processed.                                        Index verification completed.
  0 unindexed files scanned.                                          0 unindexed files recovered.                                      CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
  356096 file SDs/SIDs processed.                                        CHKDSK is compacting the security descriptor stream
Cleaning up 8614 unused security descriptors.
  44768 data files processed.                                           CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
  34163976 USN bytes processed.                                            Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
  356080 files processed.                                                File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
  86751058 free clusters processed.                                        Free space verification is complete.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
master file table (MFT) bitmap.
Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

I am assuming that the Master File Table should never have free space.  What I dont understand is why CHKDSK reported it as corrected when there must be corrupt files there??

Event Viewer

Log Name:      System
Source:        Disk
Date:          5/16/2014 12:46:36 AM
Event ID:      7
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Conrad-PC
Description:
The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.

I have another 500 GB drive empty.  I have a TB drive I used as back-up untill (I am assuming here) I installed sp1 and the Vss file was too large for the amount allocated and Backup has failed ever since.  I searched for a fix numerous times which gave fairly technicle terms to fix it.  I always assumed there would have been an update to it.   Wishful thinking :D

What I would like to do is NOT restore anything from the TB back up drive since I do not know how the problem got into the (MFT) bitmap.  I have a feeling that the error might copy over??

I do Have and Image ISO from when I purchased this computer.  It is prior to SP1  But I feel it is the safest option??

I need a walk through.

The second 500 GB (empty) drive is seen by the computer (My Computer)  But I am not sure that the Bios sees it.  The Bios shows 2 drives.  And I don't know how to differentiate between the 2 500 GB and the 1 TB drive.  The are all WD.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:38 AM

I'm unclear on what you would like advice on doing.

1.  I would recommend installing the second blank 500GB drive and uninstalling or disconnecting the other two drives.

2.  Use the ISO to install Windows 7 on the drive.

3.  Update your Windows 7 install.

4.  Shut down the computer and reconnect the two disconnected drives

5.  Copy the data you want to your new C: drive.

6.  Reinstall your software.

You can identify the drives either by looking at the labels on the drives or by disconnecting a power cable and see what drives are missing when you boot up.

#3 Enmotion2010

Enmotion2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:41 AM

Thank you for your reply.

@Rkilroy Yes, that accurately decribes what I would like to do.

I just don't know how to go about doing it. 

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:03 PM

You can download a Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 ISO image from here.  Clicking on the link will automatically start the download.

Once you have the download you will need to burn it to a disk.  Once the disc is created you may need to enter the BIOS and change the boot order so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device, and the hdd is the second device.

You will eventually need to activate the new installation of Windows 7, for this you will need the twenty five alphanumerical product key.

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close

If the operating system being used is XP or Vista you can use ImgBurn to create the disc.

Burning a ISO file to a CD or DVD with ImgBurn

To burn a ISO file to a CD or DVD please downlaod ImgBurn and install it.

Insert blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive.

Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable CD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Enmotion2010

Enmotion2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:36 PM

@ Arachibutyrophobia Thanks for your reply.

I have an ISO image disk from when I purchased this computer from Digital Storm.

I have a Windows 7 disk.

THe reason I want to go with the image disk is because the BIOS is set up for OC under a saved profile.

I dont know how to go about the process.

1. The image disk would contain the BIos settings and my operatiing system correct?  OR is the Bios saved on the Mother board?

2.  How do I know if the Drive I want to install to is partitioned corrrectly?

3. How do I swap the drives and set up the 1 TB drive to be a back up again as it was originally?

TBH I am Computer Hardware illiterate.   I do not know anything about this process.  I can install all my drivers and software np after this swap.

One other question.  My ISO Image is prior to sp1 any reccomendations on the best way to perform all the updates?  i.e Microsoft could have put out sp2 with all the udates from within sp1.  Or will SP1 have all the current updates?

Thanks.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:22 PM

The reason I suggested that particular ISO image is because it included SP1, this will save you time.

1)  The BIOS is house in an integrated chip on the motherboard.  It has nothing to do with Windows.

2)  When you go to install Windows 7 you will have the option of adding a second partition.  With a 5TB hdd I would suggest make a  200GB partition for the operating system, this will allow enough space for the operating system and make it quicker since the search area will be smaller.

3)  As I understand it, the two hdds in the computer have both failed in the diagnostic test, so you will be only using the new 1TB hdd, the previous (2) addresses this.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Enmotion2010

Enmotion2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:45 PM

No.  Only 1 HDD is bad.  I ran a quick scan and then an extended scan on C: after the quickscan failed.  Both the reports from CrystalDiskInfo are on the same drive. 

If you look up the model and the serial numbers are exact.

I am also awaiting a call from Digital Storm  I put in a ticket with them and they should be able to assist.

#8 Enmotion2010

Enmotion2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:22 PM

I spoke with Digital Storm.  This process seems like it should be a lot easier then I thought it would be.  Thank you both for posting and for your advice.

Short term solution is to swap the locations of both 500 GB HDD"S  And reinstall Win7 from disk.  Update drivers and software.

You can close this if you like or I could report back results.  Up to you, again thank you for your advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users