Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Putting together my second system

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jesus_christ115

jesus_christ115

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:26 AM

So getting ready to put together my second tower or I should say upgrade my old tower and I just wanted to post what I wanted to do on here and ask everyone's opinion on which route to take and if there are ANY bottlenecks you guys might see please let me know and maybe suggest an alternative route to take to improve my computer the best way possible I want don't want this new computer to just run I want it to sprint :)

Please bear with me Im VERY new to computers and do know specifics on some of the parts because Im ordering through a friend who has a shop in California

Intel i7 Processor

a possible SSD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147192 this one to be exact to put my OS on and some other file's to be used more often (let me know what you guys thinks about SSD's and your opinions on this one in particular)

the GPU Im not sure but I KNOW it's going to be 4 GB VRAM intergrated (opinions on intergrated GPU's and how the HD may look are welcome) I understand it's hard to say when I can't tell you EXACTLY what card it'll be but he assures me it's going to have the 4GB and he hasn't steered me wrong yet

My Motherboard is an Intel BIOSTAR model H61MGC version 6.0 with a sandy bridge (which may be upgraded depending on the processor I get a hold of)

16 GB RAM

My HDD is a WDC WD10EADS-98M2B0 ATA Device (not sure whether or not to upgrade this one what do you guys think?)

If there's anything I missed lemme know and I'll try to find it and post it on here just looking for some friendly advice :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 BLACKB0X

BLACKB0X

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:53 AM

I have the same SSD in my macbook and custom build desktop pc. Love it. Speeds are amazing!

What exactly are you planning on doing with the GPU? Are you building the rig for gaming, browsing, home media center, etc? Other than integrated gpu on mobo (if thas what your talking about) I always reccommend getting an aftermarket GPU of any kind. 4gb in GPU is pretty good in my opinion.

Got yourself a nice lil rig :)

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:50 AM

GPU memory amount is not the most important factor for most people.  It depends on the work you are doing with it.  Certain professional applications and very high resolution gaming may need a lot of GPU memory, but for the "typical user" the actual GPU performance will be more important.  The amount of memory and the performance aren't necessarily linked.

Anyway "integrated" GPU these days means using the CPU's built in video capabilities.  In the past integrated graphics would have been provided by the motherboard chipset but this is mostly obsolete now, as nearly all Intel CPU's and a number of AMD's have video capabilities on the CPU itself.  These integrated solutions don't normally have their own memory, they share system RAM.

Modern integrated graphics (especially the 4th Generation Core processors and AMD APU's) have mostly killed off the low end graphics card market. They do a good enough job for most people most of the time.  Power users and gamers will still use a dedicated GPU of course.

The motherboard is a basic budget model that supports Sandy Bridge (2nd gen) and Ivy Bridge (3rd gen) processors which use Socket 1155, but do check the CPU support list (which I've linked to) as it doesn't work with all of them by any means.

Samsung SSD's are good.  I am not a fan of the WD Green HDD's and they wouldn't be my choice if buying a new HDD, but it's probably good enough for storage where speed is not important, and where it won't be used for anything 'heavy duty'.  They have been shown to fail frequently in heavy use applications (possibly because of their aggressive power management making them spin down very frequently).  If it's a few years old then running a diagnostic software check (which you can download from Western Digital) will be a good idea to check that it's in good shape.

Edited by jonuk76, 16 May 2014 - 10:14 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 jesus_christ115

jesus_christ115
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:59 PM

I have the same SSD in my macbook and custom build desktop pc. Love it. Speeds are amazing!

What exactly are you planning on doing with the GPU? Are you building the rig for gaming, browsing, home media center, etc? Other than integrated gpu on mobo (if thas what your talking about) I always reccommend getting an aftermarket GPU of any kind. 4gb in GPU is pretty good in my opinion.

Got yourself a nice lil rig :)

I wanna build this tower for gaming and to get the most out of it im just having a hard time finding the bottleneck and what I should upgrade frist but Im thinking the GPU and the HDD I may upgrade to something with more RPM and less memory like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148617 im kind of drooling over that one any opinions on Seagate and this one in particular?

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:15 PM

this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148617 im kind of drooling over that one

For 75 bucks less you can get this.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Samsung-840-EVO-2-5-500GB-SATA-3-Solid-State-Drive-SSD-540MB-s-/251524645179?pt=AU_HardDrives&hash=item3a9009813b

Seagate Cheetah 15K.7 ST3600057SS 600GB 15000 RPM 16MB Cache SAS 6Gb/s 3.5" Internal Enterprise Hard Drive Bare Drive AUD$427.11

Samsung 840 EVO 2.5” 500GB SATA 3 Solid State Drive SSD 540MB/s AU $350.00

Or for about 100 bucks more.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-SEALED-1TB-Samsung-EVO-SSD-solid-state-disk-SHIPS-FAST-/331205524163?pt=US_Solid_State_Drives&hash=item4d1d633ac3

Just saying.

Edited by NickAu1, 16 May 2014 - 11:39 PM.

#6 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:26 AM

The Seagate Cheetah is a SAS drive. You don't have a SAS port....

Not to be rude, and this will sound rude, but is there somebody else who knows about computers who we could talk to instead of you? Maybe we could talk to this friend of yours who is going to put the computer together? You really, really, really don't know enough to be having this conversation.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:03 AM

For the Home user the Samsung is a good Choice. I am using the 1Tb myself. I also have Intel SSD drives. All the SSD drives as a upgrade over the standard 7200RPM Seagate & Western Digital drives gave a very nice boost in performance.

Plus advantages over a SAS server type drive will be no noise, low power usage, negligible heat from the drive. And since it is a SSD better performance. See the two charts showing a 7200 rpm Seagate  and a Samsung EVO SSD below. Note the access time and the basically flat transfer rate curve, a huge improvement that will be very helpful, You Never need to nor should You defragment a SSD.

samsung-1tb-ssd.jpg

hdtune-seagate-1tb.jpg

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users