Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Drive prevents log-off / proper PC shut down

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 slow.poke

slow.poke

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:41 PM

This started happening when I had a scheduled power interruption 2 days ago. My machine is connected to a UPS and before I was able to turn off my PC properly I have already lost power and my internet connection. After I clicked "shutdown", my PC waited for Google drive to close when not a single program was running.

2epjbxz.jpg

It was more or less 7 minutes until the UPS batteries ran out, and Google drive didn't let my PC shut down properly.

I usually put my machine to sleep when not in use so I can easily continue where I left off and turn it off a few times a week so I can let it rest as often as possible. I tried searching online about this issue (including the Google forums) but found no solutions and it seems it's been an issue with Google Drive for a long time. Two suggestions I read last night were to quit or pause Google Drive prior to clicking shutdown but it didn't work for me. The Google Drive notice stayed even after 10 minutes or so, so I had no choice but to put my machine to sleep mode again. I wouldn't want to force shut down as I don't think it is advisable.

Another Google Drive user posted about this issue with the same sentiment:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topicsearchin/drive/hang$20shutdown|sort:relevance|spell:true/drive/gQ9Ejq89Vd0

How can I make my machine turn off properly? I can not find where I can stop Google Drive from working (unless I uninstall it I guess but I'm afraid my files for work would be affected). I'm an average PC user and not adept at troubleshooting stuff so I hope someone here could help me.

Thanks.

Google Drive version: 1.15.6556.8063

AV: Avira free

Edited by slow.poke, 15 May 2014 - 11:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:08 AM

Un-installing and re-installing the Google Drive application should not do anything to your files on either your computer or Google's servers. I can say that is certainly the case when I have needed to uninstall and then re-install either the DropBox or Box client program, so I would assume the same would be true for Google Drive. If you are really worried, then backup the local copies of the files on your computer to a flash drive or external drive.

#3 gene-pavlovsky

gene-pavlovsky

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 05:31 PM

Apparently many people encounter this issue, including me on a fresh install of Windows 7 and Google drive.

Google seems unable to fix the problem for years. I prefer Dropbox but use both (+ OneDrive) just to get more cloud space.

My solution to the shutdown problem?

taskkill /f /im googledrivesync.exe

Put it in a .cmd file somewhere and run it on your system shutdown http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12434863/executing-a-batch-script-on-windows-shutdown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users