Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hd Recognization?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 legend41

legend41

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:19 PM

Hi,

Ive had my External Hitachi pocket 20GB HD for about 2 months. And it has been working great, but now when I plug it in the USB port it does not detect it. It works on other computers and laptops but not my home Windows XP machine anymore.

When the device is installed it makes the ping noise like it has discovered the device, but does not show up in 'My Computer' or device manager and then 10-15 seconds later the ping noise like its been taken out. The green light is on the HD and all is well in terms of the whirring noise of it. Its like its a ghost. Any thoughts on why this may be?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:25 PM

Have you tried plugging it into a different USB port on your computer? If you plug it into the back ports, try plugging it into the side or front ports.

Sounds weird, but I've seen this work more than once.

If it doesn't work, post back and let us know.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 legend41

legend41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:39 PM

Yeah I apologise I should have been more clearer. Ok I have 6 USB ports, and it doesnt work on any, but as i've tried all of them out, each new port it was plugged into made the new hardware screen come up, but at the end of that process still no luck. I got the USB to IDE popup baloon each time it was put into a new port for some reason.

Ive tried plugging it in 2 USB ports to give it extra power, but it doesnt seem to be that kind of a problem. Im on XP SP2 btw.

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:50 PM

Can you see it via disk management?
Right click My Computer, click Manage.
Under Computer Management (Local), click Disk Management.
Look in the list of drives in the right pane. If you see it, right-click the drive and then click "Change Drive Letter and Paths". Click Change, and in the drop-down box, select a drive letter that is not assigned to a mapped network drive.
Click OK twice.

#5 legend41

legend41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:57 PM

Yeah I have also tried this to no avail. Its really weird, and very annoying as I need to access some of the files for assignment work. I tried the device manager route and checked the USB root hubs and looked at the one it is plugged into, and its not picking it up on the power information area like it does every other device. Could it potentially be a cable problem? But then why would it work on other pc's?

#6 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:25 PM

I think it's pretty much narrowed down to your system.
On the Power management tab of your root hubs, is "allow computer to turn off device" selected?
Just for the heck of it, remove all the usb devices you can so that you have as little as possible outside of the drive itself on any of the ports. If at all possible, the only thing plugged into a usb port would be preferable.

#7 legend41

legend41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:57 PM

Yeah ive tried the 'allow computer to turn off device' on both option to no avail.

Just tried taking everything out and all ports to no avail, narrowing the things I can really do now.

#8 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:55 PM

Do other USB devices work?
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:17 PM

Try deleting all the USB devices and reinstalling them.

#10 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2006 - 04:20 AM

legend41.
What is the make and model of your system?
Uninstalling and reinstalling your USB controllers, as Enthusiast has suggested, would be my next step as well but you will need your mainboard drivers handy. Windows itself will not reinstall the USB enhanced controller for USB 2.0 functionality. If your usb ports are via an add-on card then you'll need the drivers for that as well.
Let us know.

#11 legend41

legend41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2006 - 04:12 PM

Ok I will try this, but what would make this problem occur all of a sudden? And yet everything that goes through the USB bar the HD works perfectly. Anyway I will let you know

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users