Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrade

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 lisa1967

lisa1967

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:53 PM

I have windows xp. I am trying to install windows 7. Its saying i need an upgraded graphic card. How do i do that..or where would i get that? Thanks
Lisa

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:14 PM

What computer do you have?

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:17 PM

Is your computer a desktop or a laptop computer?

--- As requested: what computer do you have?

Please post the exact message informing you that you need an upgraded graphic card

Run the Windows 7 Upgrade advisor http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20 and post the graphic information

It might read: The driver installed for this device is not compatible with Windows 7

#4 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:04 AM

1- 1.5 years ago, I upgraded my laptop from WinXP to Win7, with no problems, and the computer at the time was about 7 years old.  So based on your comments, it seems to indicate that your computer MIGHT be older than that.

Depending on your graphic card needs, it could run from about $20 to thousands:

HIGH TO LOW: http://www.newegg.com/Desktop-Graphics-Cards/SubCategory/ID-48?Order=PRICED

LOW TO HIGH: http://www.newegg.com/Desktop-Graphics-Cards/SubCategory/ID-48?Order=PRICE

My recommendation is just to get a Computer with Windows 8 installed.  At Walmart they can be around $300-$320 (in this area at least).  Then spend another $200 (optional), and get a boxed copy of Windows 8.1 Pro.  Once you install the boxed copy (if purchased), you can downgrade to Windows 7 Pro, if you desire.

However, IMHO, Windows 8 has got a bad rap, a lot of it due to the Start Screen, and no start menu.  But using programs like Start8, you can get the start menu back, and your interaction with the start screen, and other areas of Windows 8, that people complain about will be minimized.  There will be a short learning curve, but, if you use Start8, or something similar, fustration will be reduced.

Best of luck!

#5 lisa1967

lisa1967
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:05 PM

I have a Dell desktop computer. I did the windows 7 advisor and it said Your current graphics adapter wont support the windows aero interface. 

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,612 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:13 PM

Further down in the Devices area of the Windows Aero support section in your Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor reports the details of your graphics controller

Chances are it reports: The driver installed for this device is not compatible with Windows 7.

Although it's possible for you to install Windows 7 you will get constant reminders about graphics issues:

I forget what they were but one of my cousins is running his XP to Winows7 laptop like that

If you post the graphics card you have in your computer someone might be able to suggest an upgraded graphics card, but I'm not sure if the motherboard can handle the advanced technology so unfortunately I don't think it's as simple as upgrading the graphics card

Someone else might know otherwise but I suspect it's best for you to consider a good refurbished Windows 7 computer

------ I just bought one on-line for my brother for only $244.00 and it runs excellently

------ I understand Wal-Mart & Staples on-line offer refurbished Win7 computers

------ You could check with a local computer shop also

Naturally you can consider a Windows 8 computer

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:26 PM

I wonder if the OS can be loaded then dump Areo?  IMO what it is saying is it will not function properly.  I dumped Areo on my Toshiba LT which is quite new running 64 bit 7 and 6 gigs ram.  When I click on a program the load times for it to appear on screen is instantaneous, Areo uses a fair bit of resources so the system can have a DUMB gimmick! 

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#8 lisa1967

lisa1967
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:04 PM

I dont really know much about computers. I need windows 7 for school..so im trying to figure out what i can do. Right now i cant afford a new computer and was told that the mother board most likely wont handle an upgraded graphics card

#9 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:41 PM

what make and model do you have?

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,612 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:33 PM

I understand your situation so I'm hoping I can clarify I think it should still be possible for you to install and run Windows 7 on your computer

--- You say "I am trying to install windows 7"

------ Does this mean you cannot install Windows 7?

------ Or you didn't complete the Windows 7 install due to the " you need an upgraded graphic card" message?

--- That doesn't mean you can't run Windows 7 on your computer just the same

My cousin has a laptop as I mentioned that he upgraded from XP to Windows 7 and his laptop has "weak specs" but he is still able to run Windows 7 including the fact that his graphics driver is not compatible with Windows 7  

As requested, please post the model of your computer

--- We know you have a Dell desktop but the model needs to be known

--- Maybe there is an updated graphics card that can be more helpful than what you do have but I suspect it won't be worth the extra expense unless it's obvious it's beneficial to do so

As requested, does the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor report "The driver installed for this device is not compatible with Windows 7"

--- Please post what graphics card/controller you do have

Well a few more ideas (You don't need to purchase a new computer)

--- I know I mentioned I purchased a refurbished Windows 7 computer for only $244.00

--- Without knowing the specs of your XP computer but by speculating that your graphics card isn't compatible with Windows 7, your computer is probably has 2GB RAM or less, the hard drive is probably 80GB or less

--- I've seen refurbished Windows 7 with similar specs for about $200.00, sometimes even less

#11 lisa1967

lisa1967
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:51 AM

How do i find out what model it is? Or what graphics card i have? I know nothing about this stuff :(

#12 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:31 PM

Aero is just eye candy (clear toolbars, window animations etc.).  It's not essential for Windows 7 to run and you can use it just fine without Aero enabled.  In fact a few versions of Windows 7 (namely W7 Starter and W7 Home Basic) don't come with Aero.  It will default to a basic theme if your hardware does not support Aero.

How do i find out what model it is? Or what graphics card i have? I know nothing about this stuff :(

To give a full report so that people on the forum can see what hardware is in your computer at the moment please publish a snapshot using Speccy.

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. Copy the link to the clipboard and post it here.

To find the exact model number, you may need to locate the Dell Service Tag which is probably on the rear or underside of the computer case.  Once you have it enter it into the relevant section on the Dell Technical Support page.  Alternatively clicking "Find My Service Tag" (on the same page) may be able to detect it automatically.  Once you do one or the other you should be re-directed to a page that says "Product Support for (model)" where "(model)" is your computer's model number.

Edited by jonuk76, 17 May 2014 - 05:32 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#13 lisa1967

lisa1967
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:46 PM

Here's the link from speccy: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/8UdB7JHQqrbiFkNQP5mLNB2

The model is Dimension 4600

#14 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:50 PM

That system is an AGPx8. This video card would work well:

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-S-Video-Graphics-512-A8-N403-LR/dp/B001QMM6NU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1400381011&sr=1-1&keywords=video+card+agp+8x

as stated above you could still install windows 7 without the upgrade of video it just wouldn't install aero.

#15 lisa1967

lisa1967
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:03 PM

Ok..so another question. When i put the disc in, nothing pops up

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users