Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird problems after a BSOD!? Driving me nuts!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PCdeathvader

PCdeathvader

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:14 PM

Hey guys , this would be the 2nd or 3rd time i post on bleeping computer in a few years time.. The community here always has very helpful information so i always return when something stumps me.

This very old and evidently tired setup has given me loyal service for nearly 5 years lol , i'm mostly a console gamer so never needed much power out of my PC , i do plan on building a new PC this Fall however , it's been on my to do list for awhile now and i really want to play the new Elder Scrolls on the PC but i certainly wont be doing it on this one.. So! Down to business..

PC Specs - -

OS - Windows 7 Professional

Video - EVGA GForce GTX 460

Mobo - "Ancient"  BioStar A770E

Hard Drive - 1 TB Seagate Barracuda

Processor - " Very ancient " - AMD Athlon Dual Core 2.60 GHZ

Memory - 6 GB's Lexar

Mouse - Razer Abyssus

Keyboard - Steelseries Gaming Keyboard

The problem -

Just recently i decided to start playing WoW so i purchased a subscription for 30 days and hopped on , played for about 2-3 hours a night for 3 consecutive days until tuesday evening. I was sitting idle in WoW and grabbed my iphone to get it charging off of one of my USB ports plugged the phone in and continued playing , now im not sure if this is related or not but i figured its worth mentioning. About 10 - 15 minutes after i got a BSOD , for the life of me i dont remember specifics of the BSOD , always regret not paying more attention after the fact... I restarted the PC and it was getting stuck at the post boot screen , not relaying any errors just freezing at different points. Sometimes it would freeze while " Detecting primary drive " and sometimes it would freeze at " Checking NVRAM "  , after about 4 tries i popped my case open and grabbed a flashlight and started inspecting the mobo , thinking maybe it was possible a capacitor or something was damaged , or something had got loose when plugging my phone in " Somehow ".. I blew everything out with some light compressed air and booted it again.. This time it got past the post boot screen and directly after it said " Please Select boot device " .. So i figured right then the Hard Drive had died on me.

Thinking maybe i could rule out other issues , i grabbed a copy of Linux from my neighbour and booted Linux off the CD.. Worked fine , and Linux was detecting the hard drive , but complaining that it was " unable to install linux to the drive due to an error ".. 

So in my last few ditch efforts to try and narrow down my problem i went back to the bios , still not detecting the hard drive , only showing my CD Drive and Floppy and said to myself " Alright im gonna reboot it one last time.. And see what happends.. " And for whatever godly reason it booted and asked to  " Check the hard drive for consistency " and the check came back 100% fine and now it boots into windows... HOWEVER...

I have really weird issues now , for example when playing WoW.. It'll be fine for a half hour sometimes maybe more.. Then random animations will stop loading , music will get stuck in a very short continous loop , the map will only partly load , sometimes the game will freeze completely. But when it comes to browsing , or playing Heartstone its fine it doesent hang , or do anything loopy.. So do you guys think this is still the hard drive slowly dying , or could it be a short in the MOBO when plugging in the iphone from the USB Hub?

I'm leaning more toward the Hard Drive being the issue considering i dont have problems browsing , or doing light work.. but when the hard drive needs to retreive information for example when playing WoW to load spell animations , areas , music.. Is when the problems seem to come up... Just looking to see what people think cause it is annoying!! And i wouldnt mind getting this setup to last me until early fall before i start my new build as we just bought a house and i dont really have time or the money to spend on a PC right yet , so id like to repair it just so it lasts until early fall.

Any thoughts?

Sorry for the massive post i got carried away!

Regards ,

Jordan

Edited by PCdeathvader, 15 May 2014 - 08:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Frozwire

Frozwire

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:20 PM

Hi,

So in my last few ditch efforts to try and narrow down my problem i went back to the bios , still not detecting the hard drive , only showing my CD Drive and Floppy and said to myself " Alright im gonna reboot it one last time.. And see what happends.. " And for whatever godly reason it booted and asked to  " Check the hard drive for consistency " and the check came back 100% fine and now it boots into windows... HOWEVER...

Hi,

I would suggest that If you have some important data stored on your hard drive you'd better back up those files now. After you've made a back up you can do a thorough scan of your drive using chkdsk. You can do it in Safe Mode Command Prompt Only and type chkdsk /r /f on the command line and press enter.

"Encryption...is a powerful defensive weapon for free people. It offers a technical guarantee of privacy, regardless of who is running the government... It's hard to think of a more powerful, less dangerous tool for liberty...” - Esther Dyson

#3 PCdeathvader

PCdeathvader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:06 AM

Thanks Frozwire I will try this tonight.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:00 PM

I would not bother with the chkdsk /r command...chkdsk /r cannot overcome hard drive issues that result in your symptoms, IMO.  Chkdsk /r tries to overcome problems with files, regardless of cause.  Sometimes it's overmatched..

I would proceed with a hard drive diagnostic (long test) of the hard drive before even considering using it again for anything.

Guide, SeaTools For DOS - http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOSguide.pdf

SeaTools for DOS Download - http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

Louis

#5 PCdeathvader

PCdeathvader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:06 PM

Ok .. So this is very irritating. I went and grabbed a few old IDE drives I had kicking around and attempted to install Linux on them from a CD copy , all the hard drives I had where being detected via the IDE port , it's a holiday today so I couldn't pick up a new HDD.. Anyways after tons of frustration of Linux Mint continuously failing to install on every hard drive I attempted it with , i started screwing around with my " Failed " Sata drive , I have 6 SATA ports on my mobo " not sure if this is standard " and I started changing the cable spots and trying to boot , ports 1-2-3 all failed , and now it booted up just fine on port 4 , and I have restarted it numerous times and it's not giving me any problems , going to see now what happens when I work with it..

Are we still ruling out MOBO issues on this ?
Louis ,

I will take your advice ,

Thanks

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:29 PM

I don't see where I ruled out anything :), I just happen to go with the obvious before looking for more complicated answers.

My next step (maybe my first one since you seem to have possible multiple configuration issues) would be to replace the CMOS battery.  Dying CMOS batteries may make the system do strange things and spout multiple "apparent" hardware problems that are not really existent, IME.

Louis

#7 Frozwire

Frozwire

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:23 PM

It could also be possible that your motherboard has 2 separate SATA controllers. Thus, updating your BIOS firmware or chipset drivers of your motherboard might fix the issue of SATA ports 1-2-3.

Edited by Frozwire, 20 May 2014 - 08:24 PM.

"Encryption...is a powerful defensive weapon for free people. It offers a technical guarantee of privacy, regardless of who is running the government... It's hard to think of a more powerful, less dangerous tool for liberty...” - Esther Dyson

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:54 PM

One of the biggest problems that causes intermittent and sporadic faults is the CMOS battery.  Some units can go 5 years, others only a year before the CMOS battery gets weak, then daved data gets corrupted and the unit cannot communicate or control anything properly.  Try a BIOS reset to default and replace the battery.

#9 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:16 AM

This is going to sound stupid, but during this time are there any times plugged in via USB?  I only ask, because for a prior company I worked, we were having everything from DVD drives not working, to screens shuting down, HDDs, RAM, keyboard and trackballs stopping.  It was a static buildup, on the USB ports that were frying the NODES.  and taking out items in the connection loop.  Not saying its the same issue, but it seems odd that your issues started with the pluggin in of the phone...... I hope i Read your post right, if not and this seems like garbage sorry, been up for a few days.... work related. 

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users