Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Access denied

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gmacy2003

gmacy2003

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:47 PM

Is there any program that will allow you to delete a folder that says 'access denied' every time you try to do anything with it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:08 AM

1. what name does this folder have?.....is it a leftover from a known program?......what is its history...?

Let me know before you download and install unlocker please

2. http://download.cnet.com/Unlocker/3000-2248_4-10493998.html       this will quite likely do the job....BUT proceed with caution when you install it....it DOES come with bundled software...choose the custom install and answer NO or DECLINE to any add ons.

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT EXCLUSIVELY... NO DUAL BOOT, NO VIRTUAL MACHINE

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

#3 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:32 AM

Hello! I don't want to Hi-Jack this thread, but I just have to say this.  Very nice Condobloke!

I'm sick of these free programs adding bundled software and I appreciate you're warning to the OP.

I prefer offering a different site.

My new friend quiteman7 and I are trying to inform members. I hope you see this topic quiteman7 and comment on this topic. We have to beat these sites and stop this; or at least try to stop them.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/unlocker.html

Please do not use CNET until they get their act together!

Edited by donetao, 16 May 2014 - 02:41 AM.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:12 AM

I must admit to being seriously paranoid/careful myself when/if I download/install software of any description.

Offered a choice between Cnet and Major Geeks is slightly akin to being between the devil and the deep blue sea !

Caveat Emptor  !! (yeah I know...out of context....however, you get my drift I am sure....)

Read THIS

In the meantime GMACY.....dont think we have abandoned you !!.....we are in fact doing our level best here to ensure you don't end up with a bigger problem than you started out with !

And again.....a little history concerning that errant folder may help here.

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT EXCLUSIVELY... NO DUAL BOOT, NO VIRTUAL MACHINE

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,564 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:14 AM

Yes, folks need to take some personal responsibility and educate themselves about the practice of bundling software.
* Safe software download sites Beware of deceptive download links & PUPs

But that is a topic for a separate discussion.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:05 AM

While I agree that Cnet should be avoided like the plague, the download from MajorGeeks is no better.  Just to prove it, I downloaded Unlocker from MajorGeeks and installed it in a sandbox.  During the installation it offered to install Delta Toolbar.  Even after I tried to de-select Delta, when I checked afterwards, Babylon folders were created in Users, AppData\Local and AppData\Roaming.  For what it's worth, the results of a VirusTotal scan on the installer is here for anyone who is interested.  Therefore, one should be careful no matter where they download from.  Personally, I use Softpedia most times because they at least tell you if there's adware in the download.

Coming back to the issue of downloading Unlocker, I'd recommend the portable version because it has no adware included with it.  It can be gotten here: http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/System/File-management/Unlocker-Portable.shtml

...and Yes, I do agree folks need to take some personal responsibility and educate themselves.

#7 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:16 AM

Hello! Don't want to beat a dead horse, but the above post has a link that uses a down load manager. That's what we're trying to stay away from!! When I click on your link, I get this!!

The download of Free Download Manager is executed through a Download Manager that manages the installation and is part of our virus and malware filtering system. Additional free software may be offered during the installation process. At the time of downloading Free Download Manager you accept the conditions of use and privacy policies. The download manager doesn't have any relationship with the author of the software. Free Download Manager is also available for free at the author's website. Uninstall instructions.

Edited by donetao, 16 May 2014 - 11:20 AM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:40 PM

Please...respect the rights of any OP...and do NOT derail the topic with personal opinions that have nothing to do with assisting the OP.  Give the same respect to the OP...that you expect and enjoy in any topic which you may initiate.

Thank you!!

Louis

#9 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:10 PM

May I ask which link you clicked on?  I have the feeling you clicked on a fake link.  In the screenshot below you will see that I have pointed out the correct one to click on.

7ymHxfX.jpg

It is unfortunate, but the reality is many sites survive through allowing ads on their webpages.  Many of these take the form of fake download links as described in the early part of this article.  This same issue is also mentioned in quietman's link.  The problem is if a person doesn't learn to distinguish between the fake and real link they could end up with something quite different from what they want.  Unless I'm mistaken, this is partly what quietman was alluding to when he said...

Yes, folks need to take some personal responsibility and educate themselves about the practice of bundling software...

These fake download links can be avoided mostly if you were to use and an ad-blocking extension in your browser, e.g. Adblock Plus.  In my own case, I use NoScript with Firefox and it takes care of these things for me.

[Edit]

Sorry Louis, I didn't mean to derail the topic.  I only wanted to provide a better alternative to the download links that were offered in the first place.

Edited by Agouti, 16 May 2014 - 02:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users