Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP Home SP3 x86 - Wanting a comprehensive check of system

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 shley

shley

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:44 PM

Utilizing a Win XP Home SP3 x86 DELL Inspiron 9200 Laptop.

All MS Updataes as of May, 2104 are completed.

May have 'remnants' of a past user using ComboFix. 

Had difficulty in using CD/DVD Philips player but after re-installing BIOS from flash problem has gone away - this brings up other questions, though, as to system's integrity.

Would like to have guidance as to best check:

1)  System files

2)  Remove unnecessary files like remnants of ComboFix or other logs, software, from other tools

3)  Check hardware drivers for this model and service tag  (or answer questions to what was found from manufacturers site)

4)  Remove adware from browsers, if present

5)  and any other diagnostic check to make this XP system safe and usable for simple educational needs

This system, once checked, will not be used much for Internet (except training videos from reliable resources and occasional email) but will serve as a standalone system for education:  MS Word, DVD, CD, etc.

Thanks ahead of time for any help to configure this system correctly in order to move forward.

'shley

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:52 AM

Your #1 :-  So long as your system is working properly there is unlikely to be any problem with the system files.

#2 :-  If you have software on your computer that cannot be removed using the relevant uninstaller or through control panel, I have always found the Revo Uninstaller very effective. For removing old logfiles, temporary files and remnants I use CCleaner. Both of these are available from www.piriform.com as free downloads. Just a  note of caution, CCleaner contains a registry cleaner - do NOT use this aspect of it, but the rest is excellent.

#3 :-  Since it is a Dell and you refer to the service tag, enter the number off the tag into search in 'Support' on the Dell web-site and you will find a list of all the latest drivers for that computer'

#4 :-  For removing adware try both Super Antispyware and Malwarebytes. Both of these are avaiilable as free downloads from the download section of BC.

#5 :-  You are obviously aware that MS has ended support for XP. I would be inclined to download anything like videos that you want to use on it to a different computer and then copy the material across. Keep your A/V up to date as long as possible. As far as I know, all the major A/V suppliers are maintaining support for XP for the foreseeable future. And as long as you practice normal safe use of e-mail - eg don't click on links in strange e-mails - you should be secure enough.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 shley

shley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:56 PM

Thanks Chris.  I will follow these recommendations. 

Have a nice weekend.

'shley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users