Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sudden Shutdown in Win7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gregavi

Gregavi

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:24 PM

Hello, I am having a problem where my PC running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit suddenly shuts down or freezes. I was having some issues with this PC over the past several months, so I finally re-installed the OS. Since then I have re-installed several of my programs and downloaded some various things. Can someone help me diagnose the problem. Is it possible there is a hardware failure?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:28 PM

It's possible the computer is shutting down because of a overheating problem. Unplug the power supply and remove the side panel. If there is a lot of dust inside, carefully blow it out with a can of compressed air being careful not to overspin the blades on the cooling fans and power supply.

#3 Gregavi

Gregavi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:04 PM

I do that about once or twice per year and it may be time. I'll try that and see if it helps. I can see "shutting down" because of overheating, but is freezing a likely behavior of an over-heated PC? 

Thanks in advance.

#4 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:43 PM

Hello! You can try some things mentioned here. Do not down load any thing from this link.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000690.htm

You might look at the reliability monitor to see if you might get a clue there. I use this windows tool a lot.

http://www.howtogeek.com/166911/reliability-monitor-is-the-best-windows-troubleshooting-tool-you-arent-using/

PS although these sites offer great suggestions, they are in it for $$$$ Never down load any thing from these links!!

Edited by donetao, 15 May 2014 - 07:48 PM.

#5 Jacob123Micheal

Jacob123Micheal

• Banned Spammer
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:58 AM

1. Click the “Start” button and go to “Control Panel
  2. Then under “System and Security”, click “Review your computer’s status”.
  3. After this, click “Maintenance”.
  4. Under “Check for solutions to problem reports”, click “View reliability history”.
  5. In Reliability Monitor, you can:
  6. View the details of any event on the graph by clicking it.
  7. View the stability index of a specific period of time by clicking “Days” or “Weeks”.
  8. View more information about any event by clicking “Action”.
  9. For viewing the problems that have occurred on your computer, click “View all problem reports”. This will not show any other computer events except computer problems.

Mod Edit:  Removed unnecessary, spammy link - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 22 September 2014 - 09:55 AM.

#6 Gregavi

Gregavi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2014 - 11:54 PM

I'll try that tool. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users