Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't run any exe's (even in safe mode)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 segaja

segaja

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:41 PM

Help - my hubby's laptop won't run any exe's or open any programs or directories.

This one is way beyone me :(

Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:13 PM

G'day segaja, and :welcome: to BC.

Do you have MalwareBytes installed on your hubbys laptop ??

Edited by Condobloke, 15 May 2014 - 07:14 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 segaja

segaja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:01 PM

I do but I can't access it.  I put it on a flash drive and tried to access from there but that didn't work either (also tried in safe mode).  I went to command prompt and tried to access from flash drive but it won't recognize F.  Cannot launch any browsers either.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,049 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:21 PM

OK.

Boot into safe mode

Read HERE    and   HERE

The above reading will give you an overview....basically if one download wont run...there are renaming options

I am not sure if you can download it....or whether you will need to put it on your usb stick as well

The IMPORTANT thing is......DO NOT reboot after running rkill......Run MBAM (malwarebytes) straight away.

Please download RKill by Grinler from the link below and save it to your desktop.

RKill
    Before we begin, you should disable your anti-malware softwares you have installed so they do not interfere RKill running as some anti-malware softwares detect RKill as malicious. Please refer to this page if you are not sure how.
    Double-click on Rkill on your desktop to run it. (If you are using Windows Vista, please right-click on it and select Run As Administrator)
    A black screen will appear and then disappear. Please do not worry, that is normal. This means that the tool has been successfully executed.
    If nothing happens or if the tool does not run, please let me know in your next reply.
    A log pops up at the end of the run. This log file is located at C:\rkill.log.
    Please post the log in your next reply.

and just in case you need a fresh download of MBAM......HERE

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 segaja

segaja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:17 PM

RKill won't run either.  I downloaded it to a flash drive from my machine (cannot launch any browsers on the laptop) but when I double click, I get the same message.  Window's can't open this file.  Do I want to use a web service to find a program to open it or do I want to use a program on this computer.  Same message I get when I try to do anything.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,049 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:20 AM

Explore the renaming options.name it something memorable....be sure to write the name down !

I will be back in a couple of hours

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,049 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:25 AM

Use this download...this renamed copy may trigger an alert from MBAM. It can be ignored and is safe.

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/dl/cd410e29f687d81ed40b16fd351966b1/5375ca77/windows/security/security-utilities/r/rkill/eXplorer.exe

When rkill has run...follow straight away with a MBAM scan  (malwarebytes)

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 segaja

segaja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:41 AM

Doesn't matter if I rename it.  Nothing will launch.  I can't even get into files (documents, pics etc)  I can open the start menu, but nothing will launch from it either - can't even open notepad.

When I open to safe mode with command prompt, I can navigate but cannot find flash drive "F"     (thought I would try to launch MBAM from the command prompt)   

Considered changing the boot sequence but that's a little above my abilities without directions on where to have it boot 1st (ie cd??) and what should I have it boot to..........

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,049 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:48 AM

Have you tried the other renamed files, situated on this page ::

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/

GcnI1aH.jpg

#10 segaja

segaja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:06 AM

yes - it doesn't matter what the name or extension is - nothing will open.  I tried to restore to an earlier date & that didn't work either.  

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,049 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:11 AM

It may very well be that your current user account is corrupted.

I suggest your create a new user with Admin rights.

How to:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-new-user-account-in-windows-vista-7/

Can you run .exe files from that new user account?

GcnI1aH.jpg

#12 segaja

segaja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:12 AM

I get a blue windows box that says:

Windows can't open this file:

File:    rkill.com

To open this file, Windows needs to know what program you want to use to open it.  Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs that are installed on your computer.

What do you want to do?

Use the Web service to find the correct program

Select a program from a list of installed progams

I get the same box when I try to access anything.  When the computer boots -  several of these open up for all the progams that normally run at boot - up  (including anti-virus)

#13 segaja

segaja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:17 AM

Tried changing - doesn't seem to work.  It booted to a windows that say 1. it can't find the file regsvr32.exe  2. cmd.exe 3. WinMail.exe 4. unregmp2.exe  5. rundll32.exe  6.chrmstp.exe  7. ie4unit.exe  8.ITunesHelpere.exe

9  GrooveMonitor.exe  10.APSDaemon.exe  11. I_Manager.exe  12.CLIStart.exe  13.AvastUI.exe  14.AdobeARM.exe  15  QTTask.exe  16.jusched.exe  17. mctadmin.exe  18. ePowerTray.exe  19. sidebar.exe  20. RAVCpf64.exe      Each opened in a separate box as in post above

Edited by segaja, 16 May 2014 - 08:41 AM.

#14 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,049 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:22 AM

Ok.....I am going to refer you to the Experts area.

Do not panic because you are not able to fulfill all the requirements.....simply create a new topic....and give a good description of what is happening with hubby's PC.

The following will give you the necessary links to post a new topic in the Malware Removal Area.

Please Fully read and follow the instructions in the Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help starting at Step #6.

Note :If you are unable to complete any step, still post the topic and leave a full description of your problems.

When you have done that, start a new topic and post the required logs to
  Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum forum, NOT Here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team Experts.

Please Use Copy / Paste for your responses, and Do Not Attach them unless your helper requests this.

If HelpBot responds to your topic, please follow his Step #1 so the team will be notified.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one.

Edited by Condobloke, 16 May 2014 - 04:29 PM.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#15 segaja

segaja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:49 AM

Thanks - the link to the guide is not working so I'll post and reference this link

Edited by segaja, 16 May 2014 - 08:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users