Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Name Warning

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 i.hate.open.cloud

i.hate.open.cloud

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:33 PM

Hey, I currently have a Windows notification on my desktop that I've never encountered before and I don't know what to do with it. I had just restarted my computer after my browser froze and couldn't be closed with the task manager, and upon restart a message popped up saying "There is a file or folder on your computer called "C:\Program" which could cause certain applications to not function correctly. Renaming it to "C:\Program1" would solve this problem. Would you like to rename it now?" and the options are to Rename or Ignore.

The file contains 3 files that seem to be associated with my PDF reader (Foxit), unins000.dat, unins000.exe, and unins000.msg. I did update Foxit earlier in the day, and subsequently uninstalled Foxit Cloud with Revo (I've remove Cloud this way without problems before, it reinstalled with the update), so that may be the cause of the issue.

I'm not sure what I'm potentially messing with here, and have yet to interact with the notifiction. Any help?

(Windows 7, 32-bit)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:52 PM

Presuming it's not a virus situation, I'd:

1.  Reboot.
2.  Ignore the error.
3.  Completely uninstall Foxit.
4.  Delete the folder it's talking about -- make sure it's not "Program Files".
5.  Download and install CutePDFWriter (you'll also need Ghostwriter).  I've been using CutePDFWriter for years, and I'm satisifed with it.

However on #5, make sure you go slow during the install.  It will ask you to install the "ASK toolbar".  As long as you don't blow through the install, you can keep the "ASK toolbar" from installing.

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:26 PM

I also use Foxit....(with a great deal of care at install time )...and like yourself I also uninstalled foxit cloud.

I then went to preferences....and found the preferences for updating..... and disabled updating. I only use foxit for the occasional pdf opening so I do not need the latest and greatest.....the free version more than covers my needs.

In your circumstances, I would uninstall foxit completely using Revo.....then reinstall Carefully !! (Scotty's advice here is spot on)......and then uninstall foxit cloud again.

In the worst case scenario....and the 'file warning' persisted.....post back here and we will run a few non invasive scans to try and discover the cause.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:13 AM

FWIW

Louis

#5 i.hate.open.cloud

i.hate.open.cloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:37 PM

Thank you for the replies. I completely uninstalled Foxit with Revo's most comprehensive scand and rebooted before attempting a reinstall, but I'm still getting the same error at start up (the Program folder is still there after uninstalling Foxit). I'm running my virus scanners now to rule things out on that front, but it definitely looks like it's related to the Foxit update. Would simply deleting the C:\Program folder fix the issue, or should I hold off on that? 

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:21 PM

Open a command prompt (Start > Run >type in CMD.EXE and click OK) and type in the following:

REN C:\Program c:\Program1

(REN{space}C:\Program{space}c:\Program1)

Now test foxit.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 i.hate.open.cloud

i.hate.open.cloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:34 AM

I don't currently have Foxit installed and it's throwing me the file name warning at startup, but I'm going to put this thread on hold for the moment because it appears I have a ZeroAccess trojan issue to deal with. I will come back to this once that is resolved if need be. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users