Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Keeps Shutting Down

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 AshKilla

AshKilla

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 23 May 2006 - 02:15 PM

I have a 4-year-old HP Pavilion mx50 with a celeron processor, and I'm running WindowsXP Home Edition. The computer has always been slow but I always figured it was due to Adobe Photoshop and Norton Internet Security(my resource hog). However, the computer was bearable up until a few months ago when it began to seemingly shut down on its own every so often(maybe four times per day). It wouldnt shut down all the way, but the monitor would go off as if I'd shut it down and the fan would stop, but the computer still sounded like it was on. I would have to hold the power button in to manually shut it down and when I would hear it power down, then I could press the power button again and it would start back up.

I suspected that maybe my power supply was going bad, and so I took it in to Circuit City and had them test it(for 30 dollars). They said that it's not the power supply. While I was there I figured I'd have more memory installed thinking that maybe that could also be a factor in why it keeps shutting down. I maxed it out from 256k to 512 hoping that maybe that would be my solution.

(I dont know if this will help with anything but you wanted details in what I've already done, so maybe this can help too I took the computer down to zeros and reinstalled everything using the discs that came with the computer(as I had a lot of things on it that I didnt want anymore and decided to start fresh). I did the windows updates and I reinstalled my firewall.)

Now I'm about to rip my hair out because yes my computer is faster, but the number of times that it shuts down has increased and it does it more often...like nearly every five minutes. I have no large programs open or anything, it could just be sitting at the desktop and all of a sudden do its little shut down stunt. I checked my processes to make sure that nothing is running in there that shouldnt be, and there was nothing. I do remember reading about a worm that will make your computer shut down and stuff, the isass.exe? So, I researched up on that and found that it's extremely difficult to distinguish whether the process in the task manager is isass.exe or lsass.exe(as the capital i and the lowercase L appear the same). I bought the Spyware Doctor program, as was suggested to me by the windows site, and I ran it, but it didnt pick up anything.

I'm at a loss as to what is wrong with this thing...anyone have any ideas on what could possibly be the problem? Or what is likely to be the problem...? I would appreciate the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:20 PM

Hi AshKilla.
The Pavillion mx50 is the model # of your monitor , not your computer. :thumbsup:
The model number is most likely on the front of the case near the bottom.
Sometimes pressing ctrl+alt+s will give you that info as well,
provided it will stay running long enough for you to get that far.
Shutdown the system completely and remove the cover.
Restart the system and watch what it does when it quits.
I'm mainly interested in the cpu fan but tell us what goes down in there. (fans, drive, lights, etc.)
Listen for abnormal noises too.
When you get a chance, post that model number back as well.

Edited by HitSquad, 23 May 2006 - 03:23 PM.

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:28 PM

In order to figure out why you are getting random reboots, you need to make a settings change to your computer. Go to:

Start > right click on My Computer > Properties > Advanced tab > Setup and Recovery 'Settings'

UN check 'Automatically Restart'. Click OK.

Reboot your computer. Now when Windows detects a problem it will not automatically reboot, but rather give you a blue screen.

Blue screens are often called 'Blue Screens of Death' (or BSOD) by users, and 'Stop Messages' by Microsoft. We need to know the exact message you see when you get the blue screen. We especially are looking for a set of letters and numbers about half way down the page that take this format:

0x0000008e

This is usually followed by a set of 4 similar numbers in parenthesis. For now we just need the first set of letter and numbers (before the numbers in the parenthesis).

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:58 PM

In order to figure out why you are getting random reboots

HI ThorXP.
I don't see anywhere in Ashkilla's post were that is mentioned.
In fact, the monitor goes black so seeing a BSOD would be tough. :thumbsup:
Or perhaps BSOD = Black screen of death.:flowers:

Edited by HitSquad, 23 May 2006 - 04:00 PM.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:09 PM

but the monitor would go off as if I'd shut it down and the fan would stop

Which fan stops?
If it is the one on your processor, you could burn out the CPU in short order.

Do you have a separate video card that has a fan on it? It that what is stopping (that would give you a black screen if the video card was shutting down).

#6 AshKilla

AshKilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:45 PM

Okay,

HP Pavilion 503n is what is located on the front covering of the tower.

And it's not rebooting...the screen goes black and sounds like it does when I shut down, then both fans in the back stop. I took off the covering and there arent really any noises that sound strange. No lights blink when it does this shutting down thing either...I kind of just sat there and waited for it to do its shut down thing while having the cover off and watching it.

And I'm not completely sure about the video card.

Edited by AshKilla, 23 May 2006 - 08:46 PM.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:55 PM

If both fans in the rear shut down you still may have a power supply problem, regardless of the power supply checking ok.

I wouldn't run the computer though as overheting the CPU can kill it quickly.

#8 WereBo

WereBo

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 24 May 2006 - 06:08 AM

A simple test for overheating is, with the cover removed, gently place your fingertip against a metal heatsink vane. If you snatch your finger away and say "OUCH!!!" (or words to that effect), it's too hot!!! Ditto with the graphics card...

A PC, either 'ticking over' or working hard, shouldn't produce enough heat to get hot. Very warm - yes, but not hot enough to burn...

Posted Image

Humus hic parumper venatus of militis

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2006 - 06:43 AM

If both fans in the rear shut down you still may have a power supply problem, regardless of the power supply checking ok.

With the info we have so far, I would have to agree with that statement. Power supplies can check out just fine, but then fail a moment later. You could probably purchase another power supply for not too much money, or take one from a spare computer and test your computer with that. Again, it may NOT be power supply related, but I would think that would be the first piece of hardware to eliminate in the troubleshooting process.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#10 Pippincp

Pippincp

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 24 May 2006 - 06:10 PM

First- Uninstall Norton

Second download Ewido from here.

http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

It's only a 14 day trial but willl find any malware etc

Failing all that PM me

#11 C J.

C J.

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:58 PM

With the info we have so far, I would have to agree with that statement. Power supplies can check out just fine, but then fail a moment later. You could probably purchase another power supply for not too much money, or take one from a spare computer and test your computer with that. Again, it may NOT be power supply related, but I would think that would be the first piece of hardware to eliminate in the troubleshooting process.

Ahh yes power supplies. Seen em fail in all sorts of ways over the years. One time I lost a harddrive in Windows 98SE :thumbsup: because of a dead leg in the P9 connector ( Pre ATX - one of two that powered old motherboards) Replaced the power supply and the drive reappeared.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users